No Beat.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
How do you adjust a pendulum clock from front to back which is positioned sitting on my mantle piece about face which is the only way it will work.I placed a mark on the foot of the clutch inline with the pendulum then turned the clock facing front and took up the adjustment with coins under the front of the clock to get it going perfectly?

Simon Holt

NAWCC Member
Mar 21, 2017
Shaftesbury, UK
Country
Region
Hi binman

Unless I've misunderstood your problem, it sounds to me as though your mantelpiece is not level. So when you rotate the clock, it tilts in a different direction. If you don't want to have lifters under one side of the clock then this is what I would do:

Get a spirit level (or use a suitable app on a smart phone) and measure the tilt of your mantel piece. Now get a short plank or large book (anything that is rigid and is bigger than the clock). Put that on a table and put a lifter under one side until the tilt is the same as that of your mantelpiece.

Now you can get to the back of the clock to set up the beat.

Simon

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Many mantels are built level side-to-side but not front-to-back. I have repaired several clocks and when the customer takes them home and places them on their mantle, they won’t run because the leader is rubbing on the front or back of the crutch fork. It is important to set up a clock on a perfectly level surface with the leader hanging in the center of the crutch fork front-to-back.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I agree in principle, Will. But if the customer has a mantel that is not level in all directions and doesn't want shims under the clock, then we need to adjust the clock so it works on the surface he's putting it on. Simon mentioned a reasonable way to make that happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller