No. 4, nearly done

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by John MacArthur, Dec 23, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

So here is the nearly final product of the clock construction I have been promising pictures of. The dial and bezel will get silvered and lacquered at the very last, after final mounting in the case. I still have to make several case and bracket screws, again after the case is made, and I know the final dimensions. I have quite a few pictures of the construction processes, which I will post in order as I make the next clock, which I will be starting soon.

Johnny

DSCN0889V2.jpg DSCN0865V2.jpg DSCN0880V3.jpg

2. WMello

WMello Registered User

Jan 30, 2016
    Herndon, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Beautiful

3. shimmystep

shimmystep Registered User
    Sponsor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wonderful work John, enjoyable pictures, thanks.

Can you talk me through the weight pulley at the top of the movement? Looks great, what was behind that design? As opposed to the conventional way?

4. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

#4 John MacArthur, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Thanks, Shimmy. Most regulator clocks go into tall cases, and this is how I had set out to make this one. The weight spools off the drum, and reaches to nearly the bottom of the case. When I was about half done with this one, a friend wanted it, but in a wall hanging case. So I had to add the secondary pulley so that the weight will wind completely to the top of the case, and the fall of it will extend just beyond the bottom of the pendulum. There are quite a few examples of this type of case and setup in 19th cent. English regulators, particularly by Frodsham with gravity escapements, and It was an easy "fix". The old way was to just have it ride on a shaft, as it has to move back and forth as the weight winds up and down on the drum. I added a small rotary linear bearing inside the hub, so that it adds virtually zero friction. If I had designed the clock for a wall case from the beginning, I would just have made it with a smaller weight drum, as in my No. 3 (see web page in my sig file).

Johnny

5. shimmystep

Sponsor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I thought that may be why, the picture's perspective doesn't show the space where the weight rises well. Superb quality build Johnny, can I see jewels in the anchor as well?

6. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Thanks again, Shiimmy. In the test stand, the weight doesn't rise all the way up to the upper pulley, like it will in the final case. Yes, you can see the jewels dovetailed into the pallets. What you can't see are the jewels in the plates at each end of the scape and pallet arbors. Here is a pic of the one in the pallet bridge, before polishing.

Johnny
    13DSCN0780sm.jpg

7. shimmystep

Sponsor

Mar 5, 2012
    Cambridge, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are all the wheels screwed onto to the arbour collets? I like that, very clean. I always feel its a shame after turning a nice new brass collet on an arbour for a wheel, that it gets riveted to fit the wheel!

8. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Yes, all the wheels and the pallet anchor are screwed onto the collets with #0-80 or #1-72 screws.

9. Paul Madden

Paul Madden Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Very nice John. Thank you for sharing!

10. jhe.1973

jhe.1973 Registered User
    NAWCC Business Donor

Feb 12, 2011
    Arizona, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A few years ago my daughter and I had a chance to visit with Johnny for a few hours and we were able to view his MacArthur #3 regulator in person. It is shown on his web site, but photos really don't do it justice. I suspect that these photos of this latest creation of his may also fall short of true representation.

Angela and I were so impressed with him and his freely sharing his extensive experience that the remaining hours of our trip seemed to fly by.

I am so glad to see that he found the time to post here. Mostly for those of you who may not be regulars to this forum, Johnny's attention to detail and his input here are among the top of of this craft anywhere.

Thanks my friend!

:coolsign:

11. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Thanks so much for the kind words, Jim. If I get away towards PHX in the next couple of weeks, I'm hoping to drop in.
    Johnny

12. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Progress on the case:
    The Plan

The Frame: Case render3-page-001.jpg
    ADSCN0898.jpg ADSCN0901.jpg ADSCN0902.jpg ADSCN0903.jpg

We'll be fitting wood soon.
    Johnny

13. dandydude

dandydude Registered User
    Donor

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    Really Beautiful!!!

14. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Thanks, Dandy -- more coming soon.
    Johnny

15. tkmc37

tkmc37 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2017
    Male
    Government Slave
    Wichita Falls Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Truly amazing work, thanks for sharing !!

Tim

16. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Progress to date:
    BDSCN0904.jpg BDSCN0905.jpg BDSCN0910.jpg BDSCN0912.jpg

17. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John,
    That case is going to look amazing. I cant wait to see it finished!!
    Allan

18. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Thanks Allan. I can't wait either - this part has been quite a "head-scratcher", with a few do-overs!
    Johnny

19. Paul Madden

Paul Madden Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 24, 2017
    I really like the design and combination of wood and brass. It will look amazing, and like Allan, I can't wait to see it when its all polished and completed! Thank you for sharing your work with us John.

Paul.

20. John MacArthur

NAWCC Member

Thank you for the kind words, Paul. We did the final fitting of brass frame to wood today. The individual frames are shipping to FL on Monday for beveled glass. Hopefully, the rest won't be too arduous, and pics will follow.
    Johnny