Nisshindo New Master standard

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
This is one of four clocks I purchased in May this year. It's an odd little beast being both "cheap" and charming at the same time.

As a modern clock, I actually like the overall look of this one, especially as it came to me complete and in pristine condition - but it is a shame the manufacturer included the obviously-plastic crown which makes it look like a quartz model. Had that been brass, or even left off altogether, the clock would make quite a different first impression, I believe.

It's plate 1469E in the book and features a built-in winder. It ran with no set-up or adjustment so I have not yet attempted to service it.

The book dates the plate to 1957, but I'd be surprised if this one is older than the 1980s, if not 19990s - or 2015!!! :) Does anyone know when the last models were made and how much they sold for new?

At first sight, I rated this one pretty highly based on condition and novelty value (it's not German and I didn't have one like it) but was lucky to get it for a price I was willing to pay, which was around half what I told the seller I thought it was worth.

newmaster-white.jpg newmaster-backplate.jpg newmaster-movement.jpg

Jerry Kleeb

NAWCC Member
Dec 10, 2013
This is a Japanese 100 day clock. The Guide is pretty accurate with respect to the modern clocks as various editions were being published while the clocks were in production. These clocks were made well into the 1980's; but when quartz clocks started to be mass produced, the mechanical movements were more expensive to make & didn't keep as good time. Your clock was probably cared for because in adverse conditions the gold finish starts to peel off the pot metal & plastic parts.

Jerry

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
Andy, I agree these can be attractive little clocks, some models do have brass or at least plated crowns and other features that keep them from looking like a quartz clock. Jerry, for info the Nisshindo Watch Co. of Tokyo manufactured these as well as 400-Day models only from 1955 to 1973. AFter 1973 they made quartz models that looked almost identical but no more mechanical clocks after that year.

One thing: When servicing these clocks, DO NOT attempt to open the mainspring barrels! Nisshindo used synthetic oil for lubricant for their mainsprings and crimped the barrels closed over the back cover so they could NOT be taken apart without serious damage to the barrel. Bill Ellison (owner of Horolovar before Chris Nimon) warned me about these several years ago and I have yet to come across one that has a mainspring problem. I did destroy the barrel of a junker just to see, and even though the movement was severely rusted, inside the barrel was a clean, pristine mainspring with no rust and the lubricant was still present after 40+ years.

AndyDWA

Dec 26, 2013
Western Australia
Country
Region
Thanks Jerry.

Thanks for the advice John. I knew I'd read something about that barrel but couldn't recall what it was. At this stage, the whole thing is so clean I'm in no hurry to do anything with it.

1973!!?? It's in amazing condition in that case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moneyrama
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff