Nisshin Master extra part?

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Elliott Wolin, Dec 26, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The new version of the Forum is coming! This major upgrade of the Forum will take place in the early hours of November 2 and should be completed by noon. There will be no access to the Forum while the upgrade is taking place.
  1. Elliott Wolin

Elliott Wolin Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When putting my Nissing Master back together I ended up with an extra washer, one I think has to do with the motion work. I tried putting it a few places but it didn't work (it jammed everything up). It's the lone washer at the right of the picture.

I thought it was from the motion works on the center arbor, but the following works fine (from bottom to top): cannon pressure washer, cannon pinion, hour wheel, hour hand, minute hand, hand washer, hand nut.

I tried adding it under the minute wheel screw but no luck, it jammed the minute wheel.

Any suggestions?

20191226_121127[1].jpg 20191226_121139[1].jpg 20191226_121212[1].jpg

2. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Compared against my clock there is a very small sleeve/washer on the center arbor that I don't see on yours which space the cannon away from the plate.

That washer on the right goes over the minute hand under the cap.

Center arbor.jpg

3. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are pictures of the hands and motion works on my Master clock. I would say that the domed washer with a large hole in it doesn't belong.

Kurt

Hands.jpg MotionWrks.jpg

4. Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wayne: the lowest washer on the left sits below the cannon pinion, is this the one you are referring to? It keeps the cannon away from the plate.

And the second to top washer on the left goes between the minute hand and the hand nut.

The extra washer on the far right doesn't seem to fit anywhere.

Kurt: I'm coming around to thinking you are correct. The large domed washer came off the clock when I took it apart, but I don't recall it coming from between the two plates, I'm pretty sure it was part of the motion works. But of course the clock didn't run and now it does, so maybe best to leave well enough alone.

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As far as the motion works, I've said before that you can glue the minute hand to the cannon pinion and the clock should work. However, you wouldn't be able to adjust the time. So, with everything assembled and you're ready to put on the hand nut (in this situation), the nut should compress the curved washer at the base of the cannon pinion. If it doesn't then you don't have things right. If you can't fit on the hand nut, then things aren't right.

Kurt

6. Elliott Wolin

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2019
    Male
    Retired
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt: it all seems fine, clock is running and seems to be keeping time correctly (at least at the few hour level).

Lightly tightening the hand nut seems to compress the pressure washer at the base of the cannon, lock the cannon to the center wheel arbor, and keep the minute hand on the end of the cannon. Making the nut too tight causes the clock not to run. So, not too tight, not too loose, somewhere in there it's just right!

Thanks for your help. This is the first 400 day clock I've worked on and I'm very happy to have gotten it working (two more to go). The help I got here was essential, as was the Horolovar book, Rabushka's book, and a couple of internet videos.

Wayne A likes this.