Niebling Book Poll

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by BMW, Mar 21, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. BMW

BMW Guest

I too have been looking for Mr. Niebling's book for a few years now. I've actually been quite close to a couple of them but I've missed them by minutes.
    I actually spoke to Mr. N. on the phone a couple of years ago regarding the possibility of a reprint being published. He told me that his son had "the original plates" and that perhaps he would someday re-publish the book.
    I'm going to post a poll purely to find out how many would be interested in purchasing such a reprint. Maybe if the author saw that the number of members that would like a copy, he would convince his son to let loose the goods. Maybe it could even be of the recent Crossman reprint quality.

Would you be interested in purchasing the reprinted Niebling book on American watch cases if it were made available?

2. BMW

BMW Guest

I too have been looking for Mr. Niebling's book for a few years now. I've actually been quite close to a couple of them but I've missed them by minutes.
    I actually spoke to Mr. N. on the phone a couple of years ago regarding the possibility of a reprint being published. He told me that his son had "the original plates" and that perhaps he would someday re-publish the book.
    I'm going to post a poll purely to find out how many would be interested in purchasing such a reprint. Maybe if the author saw that the number of members that would like a copy, he would convince his son to let loose the goods. Maybe it could even be of the recent Crossman reprint quality.

Would you be interested in purchasing the reprinted Niebling book on American watch cases if it were made available?

3. Jon Hanson

Jon Hanson Registered User
    NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    check one out from the nawcc lending library (but one needs to be an nawcc member!).

Jon

Jon Hanson, nawcc#8801
    President chapter 149

4. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    convince him to sell the rights to chapter 149 and we will put it out for cost with any profits to go to the chapter to further research--maybe one of the big hitters in the nawcc like Louis the Hawk Christina could put up the seed money?

How about it BIG LOUIS?

Jon

Jon Hanson, nawcc#8801
    President chapter 149

5. BMW

BMW Guest

Cort:
    The book contains hard to find information on American Watch Case companies.
    I have looked on the site that you mention, along with other similar sites, and have not yet found it. Once I thought that I had as the site claimed that there was one in stock in Philadelphia. I ordered it but was informed later that it couldn't be located. Eventually they told me that it had been sold previously. If you can find one under $100 today you're doing pretty well.
    A reprint would be well-received in the watch community once they were notified of its existence IMO.
    B

6. Just my thoughts (free-take'm for what they're worth) :) on the subject of Neibling book: The first published history (that I'm aware of) of watch case making in the U.S. was by Crossman. This information is included in the new printing of his book available from Chapt. 149, if any are left. Neiblings efforts were extensive, but (in my opinion) far from perfect. He deserves a lot of credit for providing a new starting point for further research. I suggest that any reprint include the updates that have been published from time to time in our "Bulletin".

7. mersus99

mersus99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Attorney
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was looking for a copy of the History of American Watches Case by Niebling, and came across this thread from two and a half years ago. Has any progress been made toward getting the book reprinted? I am very interested in getting a copy for less than $300.00, which is the cheapest internet price I have found.

8. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    M99,

A CHAPTER 149 MEMBER RECENTLY SOLD TWO OF THESE FOR MORE THAN YOUR DESIRED PRICE--THE DEMAND SEEMS TO BE THERE SO MABY YOU CAN CHECK OUT A COPY FROM THE NAWCC LIBRARY BEFORE INVESTING IN THE INTERUM.

9. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  10. Robert M.

Robert M. Registered User

Nov 20, 2004
    I can't speak for his much sought after case book although I have two publications of his pertaining to balance staff sizing and another on watch repair but I will tell you this,Mr. Niebling still manages to attend most of our Chapter #1 Marts and I would be hard pressed to find a nicer gentleman involved in our endeavor.He's completely unassuming and a wealth of knowledge to any budding watch repair person and I suppose to an experienced one for that matter.A real class act.He's getting pretty well up there now and I'm glad I had the opportunity to talk to him.It was a real honor for me.
    I apologize for getting off the subject but I felt compelled to say a few nice words about a real nice guy involved in our pursuit.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob,

I tried to email Warren about this thread, but the email address I had for him no longer works. Someone could send him a letter if they want to get this off the ground.

12. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Peter,

In my opinion several factors:

1. an update with corrections is VERY important and a MUST!

2. price will dictate the number that will sell--overpricing and poor marketing will kill sales.

3. Chapter 149 has offered to redo the book and underwrite the costs (our Crossman book sold out easily, though not quickly, with our costfree marketing plan)

4. we are still listening, but reprinting it "as is" might prove to be a BIG loser!

13. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Peter,

What was the binding error? from me, Don?

PS It's never too late to change ones spots!:biggrin:

14. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it were a coin, it would have added value!:biggrin:

15. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Why not use the nawcc lending library in the interim?

16. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Printing the book would be no problem.

And very inexpensive.

The difficult part would be in doing the updates and such.

This would be a good thing for the author and for the NAWCC.

Count me in on whatever is needed to make this happen.

Jeff Hess

17. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Inexpensive?

Sure with poor paper and bad binding, xeroxing as well as printing thousands of copies it can be done on the cheap.

NOT SO FOR A QUALITY, LIMITED printing!

18. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have been in touch with Mr. Neibling by phone and by mail, behalf of Chapter 149. I proposed that we publish an edition with the updates he wants to add. We also offered technical assistance.

He replied by mail
    1) He does not want the book reprinted by others and requested that we not do this.
    2) He and his son will do the re-publication.

19. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jon, it can be done very very inexpensively.

Dr. Jon,

If they need some help in getting this done inexpensively have them contact me please. I will help.

Jeff

20. Jon Hanson

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    Boston, Ma.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jon,

Has the copywrite expired?

Rumors are that some have been xeroxing the book?

21. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The book was published in 1971 with Copyright notice. The copyright expires in 2066 (95 years from date of publication).

22. mersus99

mersus99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Attorney
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Over 250 people have viewed the 2003 poll thread since I revived it several days ago, which I hope indicates interest in a republication of the book. I am ready to order mine.

I saw references to the "Crossman book". Is that a late 19th century book on the history of American wristwatches?

23. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    for your reading pleasure....

search term "crossman book"

old ref::http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqW...rum_scope=3936000561

24. Andy Dervan

Andy Dervan Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

I realized that I knew very little about watch cases and borrowed his book from NAWCC Library when I saw market price was too high to purchase.

It was a fascinating read about the development of various watch case companies. The research was done over 35 years ago. I wonder if information was more closely examined it might contain inaccuracies - more availability of research sources. It is not ment as criticism of Mr. Niebling.

I would like to see it published with updates (Chapters added at the end to save reformating costs) even if it raised the cost. It should be printed on good quality paper and bound similar to earlier edition. These requirements will probably raise the cost, but quality effort is important. Reprinting the existing book without changes should cost substantially less, but it still would not be cheap.

Another thought - would NAWCC consider publishing it a limited edition, and print number requested my members?

Andy Dervan