Nice little clock, a look at a rare painted (tin plate) cuckoo from the Black forest

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG, Mar 2, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG Registered User

Dec 28, 2011
    COLLECTOR, RESTORER, PRESERVER, TRADER.
    This is an earlier tin plate painted wall cuckoo from around 1870. This one is not a Beha. I shared another similar that is made by the Johann Baptist Beha firm, this one is made by a pretty fierce competitor, The GHS firm. Gordian Hettich & Sohne. (Furtwangen) Equal in all areas, but for the name. this clock is a rare one, and the image on it is of the finest quality. The detail is stunning. In one photo I showed the image along side my finger for scale.
    The hunter and his dog take a shot at a group of ducks on the water. Charming scene.

GHS  (1).jpg GHS  (2).jpg GHS  (6).jpg GHS  (3).jpg GHS  (4).jpg GHS  (5).jpg

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Re: Nice little clock, a look at a rare painted (tin plate) cuckoo from the Black for

The clock with the painted tin front posted here and those on the other thread https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?116799-From-the-same-source-some-rare-items-I-think are really wonderful.

At their best, the "Black Forest" clocks can be wonderful examples of folk painting and carving and transcend being just time keepers.

It's nice to see now and again the good examples of that clock making heritage.

Thanks for posting.

RM

3. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    Deceased

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Re: Nice little clock, a look at a rare painted (tin plate) cuckoo from the Black for

What a lovely clock, I've not seen this type before. Thanks for posting :)

4. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011

Thanks folks. :) Glad to share.

5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:

Just reflecting a bit.

There is a wonderful history of painted tin ware in the US as there is in Europe. But not many American clocks incorporate painted tin or sheet iron into their cases.

Some Jerome flat pilaster and scroll clocks have a decorated tin panel in the lower portion of their door. Yes, I guess it could be sheet iron.

Asa Munger used a tin panel with a crystallized surface behind glass for his dial surrounds.

I've posted examples of both.

PA is an area where many of those from the German speaking parts of Europe immigrated. The clocks they produced show evidence of many Germanic influences including the use of decorative metal panels (I believe usually sheet iron) in the door. To my recollection, they have some of the most detailed decoration of that type. See "Pennsylvania Shelf and Bracket Clocks, 1750-1850" by LaFond and Harris. It's a NAWCC publication.

RM

Attached Files:

6. jkfabulos

jkfabulos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 21, 2001

Looks like the weights are from an Ansonia Antique model clock. They are pretty distinct in design.
    The painting is fabulous.

7. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011

Thanks everybody. Yes I think the weights are from an ansonia. They are a close match though and for now they will do.
    RMARKOWTZ. Interesting addition. thanks for sharing. :)

8. ANTIQUECUCKOOCLOCK.ORG

Dec 28, 2011

:) thanks all.