brag NEWLY ACQUIRED LFS TALL CASE

Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2014
Southern California
Country
Region
This really large and ornate LFS tall case has just found its new home with me hare in California. I am posting a few pictures to answer questions that you may have. It's 107" tall so I only have a scant 1" clearance at my ceiling. Aside from the extensive and impressive woodwork, the copper Dolphin and Shellfish Lavabo fountain really sets the entire clack apart from anything I have ever come across before. The works display the first generation (small) version of the LFS Circle logo. Another interesting sidenote is the scratched-in signature and date on the back plate of the clockface. It reads Theadore Herbstrith, Pforzheim, 1895. In the included picture of some genealogy research I did, you will see that one Amalia Herbsrith (sister of Theadore) actually married Damian Furtwangler somewhere along the way. Of some convenience I suspect, it seems Amalia grew up in Ettenheim, Freiburg, only 20 or so miles from Furtwagen; home to the extensive furtwangler family. I leave it to your imagination when and why the clock moved between the two families sometime around 1895. The Herbstrith company continues to manufacture fine jewelry even today.

I am wondering if perhaps the clock might have actually been made a bit earlier than the 1895 .

Well anyhow, if you have any questions or comments, I would be happy to get them! FINAL LFS (3).jpg lfs.jpg lfs2.jpg furtwangler.jpg furtwangler (2).jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am wondering if perhaps the clock might have actually been made a bit earlier than the 1895
I have not seen any evidence of when the LFS trademark was registered, but it has been noted that it was "dated" in 1895. This is based on the research by German expert Professor Helmut Kahlert. (Courtesy Doug Stevenson)

The use of the word 'dated', as opposed to 'registered', does not, in my mind, clarify when the trademark was registered. 'Dated' could mean 'first observed', which is not authoritative to registration. I should note that mikrolisk lists your mark as being registered in 1914, but this is most likely not the original registration date but a re-registration date.

To answer your question directly, if we assume the mark was registered in 1895, then the mark could have been used by LFS earlier, but typically not more than one year earlier.

Tatyana is compiling a database of LFS serial numbers. Perhaps she can provide a good circa date for your movement.

Are there any patent dates ("DRP") inscribed on the movement?

Regards.

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
I have not seen any evidence of when the LFS trademark was registered, but it has been noted that it was "dated" in 1895. This is based on the research by German expert Professor Helmut Kahlert. (Courtesy Doug Stevenson)
The Russian forum has a catalog LFS published after 1888. Часовой форум Watch.ru - Показать сообщение отдельно - Каталог LFS 1932
Unfortunately, some of the sheets have been lost. I believe that such a case could be in this catalog.

Besides the case, the movement is very interesting. The Russian Forum has made great progress in studying LFS over the past 6 years, but there has never been such a movement.

Gary, are there numbers on the back wall indicating the catalog number of the case and the caliber of movement?

1006.jpg

Regards
Tatyana

Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2014
Southern California
Country
Region
Hello Again Tatyana...

I am sorry to report that the only two numbers to be found on either the movement or case are the two + LfS Logo I have already posted above. If there are any other photo angles of the movement you would like as reference/identification, please ask. Any other information as well.

I am curious of your opinion about the copper Dolphin & Seashell decoration. The attachment hardware (loops over hanger pins) is well-integrated through the case backboard. This leads me to believe they are original to the case itself. If so, however, I can't imagine that the extensive repoussé work would lend itself economically to any multiple levels of production. Any thoughts:???:?

Did this new serial# 5155 add to your tracking reference library in any way??

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
, I can't imagine that the extensive repoussé work would lend itself economically to any multiple levels of production. Any thoughts
I maybe wrong, but the dolpin and shell dish look to me as if the are cast metal, not repoussé work. Also, are they definitely copper? The pictures won't enlarge much, but they look more like brass - though that may just be the lighting.

Some people might say your clock is 'over the top' but I like it very much!

JTD

Tatyana

Jan 2, 2016
Saint Petersburg
Country
Hello Again Tatyana...

Did this new serial# 5155 add to your tracking reference library in any way??
I found only one similar movement.

5_003_.jpg 5_003___.jpg 5_003.jpg

If you can add a pics of the movement from above, a full photo of the back panel and a photo of the resonator, then you can see the similarity of these movements.

These are 112 caliber pics, you have an earlier caliber.

4_340____________.jpeg 4_340.jpeg 4_340__.jpeg

At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries , If used 107, 110, 111, 112, 116, 117, 120, 126 calibers. There are lacunas for which specific movements have not yet been identified.

Regards
Tatyana

P.S. Gary, your clock is unique, I believe that there will not be an analogue soon.

Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2014
Southern California
Country
Region
What are your plans with your new clock?
Nothing specific in mind. I bought it at a distant auction as an addition to others in my collection. I honestly did not anticipate its very large size until it arrived via shipper. It would actually show better in a room with tall, vaulted ceilings. My clearance is less than 1 inch as it sits.

Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2014
Southern California
Country
Region
I maybe wrong, but the dolpin and shell dish look to me as if the are cast metal, not repoussé work. Also, are they definitely copper? The pictures won't enlarge much, but they look more like brass - though that may just be the lighting.

Some people might say your clock is 'over the top' but I like it very much!

JTD
RE Dolphin & Shell. The side fins are surely cast but the body is in sheet coppe. Lots of tool marks both sides. See picks and decide??

lavabo1.jpg bcopper.jpg 107165822_3_x (2).jpg

Gary Ewald

NAWCC Member
Jun 13, 2014
Southern California
Country
Region
I found only one similar movement.

View attachment 714124 View attachment 714125 View attachment 714126

If you can add a pics of the movement from above, a full photo of the back panel and a photo of the resonator, then you can see the similarity of these movements.

These are 112 caliber pics, you have an earlier caliber.

View attachment 714127 View attachment 714128 View attachment 714129

At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries , If used 107, 110, 111, 112, 116, 117, 120, 126 calibers. There are lacunas for which specific movements have not yet been identified.

Regards
Tatyana

P.S. Gary, your clock is unique, I believe that there will not be an analogue soon.
I am providing the photos you requested as best I can without dissembling things. Looking at my movement and the top row center picture you sent, I would say they are exactly the same; especially noting the identical suspension spring configurations. I hope this helps!

works.jpg spring.jpg backboard.jpg

Reactions: Tatyana

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner