• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Newly acquired ingraham

walshja

May 2, 2006
forgive me NAWCC, it's been several years since my last visit.

Just picked this up for $90 tonight at a local auction.

Movement is is marked ingraham with pat dates of October 8 78 nov 11 79

cast iron case and dial are in great shape, but I'm guessing the case shouldn't be painted gold ??

The movement won't stop running, on its side, upside down, any position !!

Any help identifying this clock is appreciated.

i can't figure out how to add attachments from my iPhone. I can't drag/drop. Any ideas ? Can you view my attachments by my username of walshja?

Last edited:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Tran's Ingraham book shows 6 enameled iron case, pendulum-driven clocks from the 1881 catalogue; I presume this is what you mean by cast iron. (The catalogue description simply calls them enameled metal. Two versions of one model are shown). These models were offered only a couple of years or less. Ingraham concentrated on the enameled wood.

Of, course, it's not impossible that Ingraham simply supplied the movement to another clock maker, e.g. Nicholas Muller. Depends on the type of case.

It is always best to put the clocks in the thread itself. You may have to upload them to your computer and then attaché them here.

Last edited by a moderator:

walshja

May 2, 2006
I'm thinking of media blasting the case, then painting it black, assuming they came black. Anyone have any insight?

Fitzclan

Jul 20, 2014
Long Island, New York
Country
Region
Love the design of this one. Don't think I'd rush into anything like refinishing. Looks kind of cool as is but if you must, it would probably be a good idea to find a picture of the original first.
Does the case have any markings? It is possible that the mvt is not original to the case. Good luck with it. Show us what you've done with it when you finish.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Joe, I'm pretty well convinced you have a Nicholas Muller's Sons clock. It looks very much like the Auger, missing side piece birds (could have been an option not to have them, and the top statue which was an option). There might have been a casting number under the dial, but your picture shows some sort of damage there. It would have likely been casting # 247. It is shown in my Muller book from 1885. the finish should be a bronzy colour, which it appears to have.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I agree with Harold that it is the Augur, or the basic case of the Augur missing birds and top statue. I wonder whether the birds were meant to be detachable at all and have now gone missing? The statue may well have been an option; many such toppers were. Ingraham probably supplied only the movement, hands, pendulum, and dial to whoever retailed the clock. I agree also about leaving the color alone. The photo in the Muller book Harold mentioned seems to show it with the same color.

Interesting to see a couple of Muller clocks in as many days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike Mall
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-