Newly-Acquired 8-Day GF Movement

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Alex Howell, Oct 9, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Alex Howell

Alex Howell New Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello Members. I have been away from clocks, and NAWCC for a good while, and due to too many birthdays, am coming back to a pastime that doesn't require a lot of heavy lifting. I just acquired an 8-day GF movement that I believe to be English. Unusual to me is the fact that there are 5 pillars between the plates. It came to me with cord wound around the winding drums rather than cable. I am going to try to include a picture. There is a piece attached to the time-side, top pillar that appears to serve as a stop for the hammer arm. The screw that attaches this piece does not appear to be original. Any info as to probable origin would be appreciated.

1009192036.jpg 1009192036.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The winding drums are unusually small diameter for an English clock, which may suggest it isn't one. 5 or 6 pillars is taken as a sign of quality.

The extra bit on that top pillar is in my experience usually an extra bit, though I have seen it on bracket clocks where it looked more original.

3. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I would suggest a hanging clock. May be referred to as a Norwich clock, Norfolk clock, or even Tavern clock.

Here is an example of clock of the similar genre, although this one is probably later and has a Brocot escapement. Just to give an idea of what the case may have looked like::
    Dent clock, are there records????

Here are a couple more similar.
    Tavern Clock, Dereham, Norfolk
    Regency, Bell Striking Tavern / Wall Clock | 473258 | Sellingantiques.co.uk
    ACT of PARLIAMENT CLOCK - www.clcockcareandrepair.com

The purpose of the above links is to illustrate the type of case the movement possibly once had, not to advertise.
    Many more examples have time only movements.
    Please correct my posting if needed.

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good spot, I have no experience of those and did not realise they had the smaller barrels. It is two train with rectangular plates so Norwich clock is likely, tavern clocks/AoP clocks are usually single train with A plates.

5. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The terminology may give hints for internet, auction, dealer, or collector interest. But may not have to do with accurate identification. More literary research is suggested.

6. Alex Howell

Alex Howell New Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Many thanks to those who responded. The comments will serve to guide my further research.
    Alex

7. Alex Howell

Alex Howell New Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #7 Alex Howell, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Since posting last I have disassembled the movement and found some things that, to me, are of interest. The pillars at 4- 0'clock, 8- 0'clock and 10'clock each have the upper flange (?) milled at about a 45 deg. angle. The 8- 0'clock pillar also is milled flat on the outer side. The 2-0'clock pillar is normal. Also, I found two photographs, stated to be of a clock by Aaron Willard, that show several similarities to the movement that I have (oval fly, odd bit mentioned in the previous post and general layout). I'm still not proficient with the pictures but will make an attempt. The last two pictures are from Delaney Antique Clocks: Aaron Willard Tall case clock. Boston, Massachusetts @ Delaney Antique Clocks. This one has large winding drums, unlike mine. The small ones on my movement are a puzzle to me. Thank you in advance for any further comments you might have. Forgot to mention that the escape wheel tooth count is 30.

Alex Howell

1009192036.jpg 1011191545_Burst01.jpg 1011191549.jpg 1011191648.jpg 1011191649.jpg 1011191649_Burst01.jpg Aaron Willard 2.jpg Aaron Willard1.jpg

8. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #8 Jim DuBois, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    The Norfolk clock that Chris provides a link to clearly shows smaller diameter drums. And it is also apparently the same clock as I provided a bad photo of. I should look at previous posts before I run off?

In that, the movement has 5 posts, has the improvements made to the columns, has the reduced barrels nicely fit up, all combined serve to suggest an earlier tall clock movement was converted for use in a wall clock. Or, more conventional plates were used a bit unconventionally from day one by the maker. The five columns suggest a conversion more than its being originally made in this fashion.

And, just fyi, the WIllard family would not have been involved in this clock.

english wall clock 2.jpg english wall clock.jpg english-pub-wall-clock.jpg

9. Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    5-pillar movements are common for English movements in this time period (first half 19th c.). Whether bracket clocks, or weight clocks. 6-pillar would be exceptional.

10. Alex Howell

Alex Howell New Member

Oct 9, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the additional comments Jim. I think you are right. I spent some time cleaning the movement this afternoon and, after looking more closely, decided that the milled length of the lower/left pillar was to provide clearance for the cord coming off of the smaller drum on the time side. With the drum temporarily installed in the plate, a little straightedge and scale work showed that the unwind side of the drum was close to the plane of the milled flat.

Would love to know the story behind the alterations. They were professionally done. I wonder what the movement became as a result (5 hr.). Soon I'll find out.

Thanks to you and others who have rendered opinions.

Alex Howell