Newly Acquired 1980 Ridgeway Model 217

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by bigtime1204, Jan 15, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bigtime1204

bigtime1204 Registered User

Jan 15, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I recently, like yesterday purchased a Ridgeway Model 217 with a Urgos CN 32645 cable weight driven movement. I personally moved the unit gloves and all, Youtube process followed. was a little strange as the Right weight had previously been labeled L but had been crossed out and an R is on it now, Both Left and Right weights seen to be about the same weight with the center weight being lighter. Million Dollar question are the weights where they actually belong:???:. A note on the inside of the original Owners Manual states If your Clock has a CN Movement hang the Light Weight on the Left Pully and the Two remaining weights on the Two Remaining Pullies. It has been keeping great time and chiming fine but im wondering if this is right configuration or not. Also what effect does this have on the drive-train. Im Baffeled..I cant find Any information at all on the Movement. Any Help is appricated.

2. upstateny

upstateny Registered User

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    IME the chime weight (heavyest) goes on the right. Think about it, the chimes strike 4, 8, 12, 16 times during one hour or 940 times in 24 hours 6740 times in 7 days. So, will need more power in the chime train than in either the time or strike train. The strike train will strike 78 times in 12 hours twice a day or 1092 times in 7 days, next heaviest weight on the left. Time train uses the lightest weight.

3. bigtime1204

Jan 15, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    UpstateNY, I dont have much experience with the works as to what pully does what. In my mind a heavier weight would be heaverier to produce the power needed to drive the train. Or are the weights lighter to lower each weight at the same rate. im looking for where each weight should go on according to my specific movement a Urgos CN 32645. I appreciate your reply but it still leaves me wondering about my specific unit.

4. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    An Urgos 32645 is the old number for an Urgos 32333.

• Drive Type: Cable & Chain
    • Weight Requirement: If pendulum bob diameter is 6.5” or less then 2 light weights and one heavy. or If pendulum bob diameter is larger then 6.5” then two heavy weights and one light.
    • Plate Dimension: 130mm x 130mm
    Look here Urgos 32645 weight configuration

5. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #5 upstateny, Jan 18, 2020 at 1:16 PM
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    When you face the front of the clock, the left pulley is the strike train, the center pulley is the time train and the right pulley is the chime train. You are unable to find information on the 32645 because you are using the wrong number the 32645 is now called 32333.

Weights have to be heavy enough to power the train but also light enough so that all trains will run for eight days. In an earlier post I gave you the specs for weights from BFI, the pendulun bob size on your clock will determine if you have 2 heavy and 1 light or two lights and a heavy. They will be arranged on the pulleys as L,L,H if the bob is less than 6.5 inches or if your bob is greater diameter than 6.5 inches then there will be two heavy and one light arranged L,H,H. Keep in mind that as movement designs are under constant redesign by the manufacturer the exact weight of individual weights may also change thus tge manufacturer will refer to them as heavy or light.

Lastly, putting too heavy a weight on a ckock will increase the wear on the train on which it was hung. What would be a good idea is to weigh each of your weights and measure the diameter of your pendulum bob, you will then have all the info needed to put the weights in the correct positions.

This is really a simple process that you are making harder than it really is. If the clock is from 1980 it is already reaching end of life, as these units were only designed to last 35-50 years given propper maintainence over their life, your clock is already 40 years old!

6. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Perhaps this will help
    1. Measure the diameter of your pendulum bob.
    If bob diameter is < 6.5 inches
    Then
    you will have 2 light and 1 heavy weight
    Hang them left to right as you face the front of the clock
    LIGHT, LIGHT, HEAVY
    Else
    If bob diameter is >6.5 inches
    Then
    You will have1 light and 2 heavy weights
    Hang them left to right as you face the clock
    LIGHT, HEAVY, HEAVY

DONE

7. bigtime1204

Jan 15, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Upstate the Current Configuration is L, H, H. That is how the Owners Manual orders the weights. I am interested in the difference in the in the KT-KR-KW, and the CT-CN-CW. Mine is the CN Movement. I do understand it's no longer made and there is a New Movement part number 32333. She's keeping perfect time, chime and strike are good too. I'm sure she could use a good cleaning and oiling. Hour strike is not striking the correct hour but the manual said it should auto correct after 2 hours, but it hasn't. I haven't taken the rear cover off yet to see if it has the auto correction feature in the CN movement. I'm an engineer by trade so I want to know everything about it. Funny I cant find a thing on the 32645 movement. Also the Bob is 6.5"+ so the two heavy weights make scence. I weighted the and 2 are 11.5 lbs and one 6.5 lbs. I'll take a picture once I open her up.
    Thanks for all of your help.
    I'm just a curious putz. Hey $165 dollars of fun and learning.
    Bob

8. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #8 upstateny, Jan 20, 2020 at 10:03 PM
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    IME the CN etc you mention refers to the dials used by the factory. Has nothing to do with the movement, IME ALL Urgos movements were labeled UWxxxxx and perhaps a trailing letter such as UW03208B. I looked for you today and could not find manuals for UW32333 or UW32645. How did you determine that yours is a CN movement? If it is not marked on the back plate of the movement, the CN is a Ridgeway designation. Given the size of your pendulum and the manual you do have your weights are positioned correctly, as I pointed out in post #4.

OBTW, you say that the movement is not striking correctly, do you mean that the clock strikes 5 when the hour hand is not pointing at 5? Is so, the hour hand is a friction fit on the hour tube, so all you need to do is move the hour hand to match the hour count being struck. This however is not true for the minute hand. Lastly, the auto correct does not function the way you think it does, it means that you can move the minute hand around the dial without waiting for the clock to strike, which will throw the strike off however the clock will correct for this action within 2 hours just as your manual tells you.

Have you given any thought to contacting Ridgeway? Which would answer all your questions about your 'CN' movement. OBTW the Urgos UW32645 is now manufactured by Hermle as the UW32333 so you might consider contacting Hermle or Mark A Butterworth.

Sorry but I have no further advice to offer.

9. bigtime1204

Jan 15, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Upstateny yea maybe I'm chasing my tail. Here's a shot I took tonight.

10. bigtime1204

Jan 15, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
  11. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag:
    #11 upstateny, Jan 21, 2020 at 8:36 AM
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020 at 8:44 AM
    Well, the lable in your second picture confirms that the CN and CF designations are Ridgeway specific. The lable is put there after the dial and movement are assembled by Ridgeway not by the movement maker Urgos.

Unfortunately the movement model number in the lower center or right corner of the back plate of the movement are not visible because of the lighting in the photo. It should read UW32645.

I agree you are suffering from whirlybird syndrom.

12. bigtime1204

Jan 15, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Upstateny
    Thank you so much for all of your help. At this point I'm satisfied that this attempt by myself with your help and knowledge is finished. She's running well right and that was what I wanted. I'll always be inquisitive as thats an engineering mind. I just have to know..
    Thank you my friend for your time and effort on my behalf.
    Bob

13. upstateny

Oct 2, 2015
    Country Flag: