Newest clock: Kaiser Grand Universe

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Harry Hopkins, Jun 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Harry Hopkins, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Hello all, I wanted to show off my most recent purchase. This Kaiser Grand Universe (plate 1309A) was at a local estate auction. I had slightly known the gentleman who had recently passed as he was a clock repair hobbyist like myself and I occasionally did some work for him when he did not have the equipment to do it with. There were about 60 clocks in the auction.. mostly fairly ordinary clocks and I came home with 3 of them.. including a Chauncey Boardman 30 hour steeple clock with a fusee movement. The Kaiser did not even make the sale bill so I was surprised to see it. I have not seen one like this and have been doing my research for the last couple of days. I have it running with good rotation but it has stopped a couple of times in 48 hours. I have not done anything other than put it in beat so I am sure I will be tearing it down soon for a complete servicing. It seems to be in good to very good condition but could use some polishing. I believe the dome is original to it also. I found the drawing of the hidden part of the pendulum in the repair guide and see that the hand tension is completely different than I have seen before but the repair guide has excellent drawings which will make re assembly easier. 308099.jpg 308100.jpg

PedroCortes likes this.
  2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sweet!!

Kurt

3. Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When I get the time to service this clock I plan to document how the hidden part of the pendulum works and the steps necessary to disassemble it. I had some time today and was looking more closely at the clock and turned it upside down for the first time to see how the bottom pendulum cover was removed and I found a brass disk on the bottom of the base screwed to a post. Does anyone know what the disk is for? Apparently the threaded post is just there to provide a place to store the disk . My best guess is that it might mount on the hidden part of the pendulum and be used as some sort of a course adjustment for regulation if necessary. 308727.jpg

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Harry -

I believe that is what's used to lock the pendulum for transport. I can see a threaded rod in the other small hole...would that knurled nut come off and have enough reach to attach to the rod?

Kurt

5. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello,

I have the same clock and have not gotten around to it yet. I unscrewed the disk and, just as Kurt suggested, it screwed onto the rod projecting through the hole and secured the pendulum from moving.

6. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Both correct, that is the pendulum locking nut. It should be put in place ONLY after disconnecting the pendulum from the suspension spring, which lowers the threaded end of the pendulum assembly shaft enough for the nut to fit snugly. Notice that the nut is stepped on one side, the smaller diameter being just the sized needed to fit into the hole in the base below the pendulum. Most of the time these lock nuts are missing, and they were supplied as original equipment on "all" Kaiser Universe and Grand Universe clocks.

7. Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Kurt, WhatGoesAround and John! After having it pointed out it seems very obvious and ingenious.

I have another question about this clock that probably has a simple answer but is escaping me. I noticed that just one of the pillars has one end turned down to a smaller diameter. In this clock it is the upper left pillar looking from the back of the clock and the turned down portion of the pillar is toward the front. At some point in the past it could have been reinstalled in the wrong position but I do not see a purpose for the turned down end no matter which corner the pillar would be installed in. Any ideas? See photo. 308777.jpg

8. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When the KOMA midgets went to a slightly larger mainspring barrel, one of the pillars was relieved a bit to accommodate the larger diameter.
    I'd suspect it was something along those lines.
    Or... Possibly that it was to accommodate a wheel in another model clock in their line.
    Namely, the moon phase drive system of the regular "Universe"

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Two of my Kaisers have same size upper pillars. The third, though, has the same reduced diameter, but on the opposite side as Harry's. All three of these have the moon phase included and I see no benefit one way or the other having the reduced diameter on the pillar.

Kurt

10. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Perhaps a bit more clearance for the winding ratchet/click?

11. Harry Hopkins

NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for all the suggestions.. I looked again and the only thing that comes close to any of the pillars is the clickspring and screw that holds it in place but there is ample clearance without having the reduced diameter in that position. When the time comes I will reassemble with it in that area. It was just a curiosity... I am guessing Martin was right that Kaiser may have had a reason for one pillar with a reduced diameter for another model or another feature that never made it to production.

12. whatgoesaround

whatgoesaround Registered User

Jan 22, 2008
    Male
    science teacher
    south carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The two pillars are the same on my grand universe. Too bad that there is no serial # to help date when this difference existed. Mine also has plate 1309A.

13. Paul Snyder

Paul Snyder Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 20, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Country Flag:
    that step down your revering to is for the universe clock. a small gear rides there and than a brass bushing.its part of the moon gear train

14. Kamil Urbanowicz

Kamil Urbanowicz Registered User

Aug 17, 2010
    Is the pendulum in this Grand Universe kaiser plastic, or brass made?

15. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kamil, if you are speaking of the world globe the sits above the base, it would be of painted/metalized plastic. If a metal one exists I have yet to find or see one.

PedroCortes likes this.
  16. MartinM

MartinM Registered User

Jun 24, 2011
    Male
    Medical Insurance Systems Analyst
    El Dorado, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you're talking about the silver and gold globe, I have one in metal.

17. PedroCortes

PedroCortes Registered User

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I agree. My watch is also blocked like this. Thank you!!

18. PedroCortes

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have seen what you have said about the semicircle ... from what I see, my watch also has it.

IMG_20180819_225757.jpg

19. PedroCortes

Jul 31, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have seen that the planet of my Kaiser is not plastic...

I see that the northern hemisphere in the area of Indonesia doesn't match much with reality. It's also like that for you. the northern hemisphere does not coincide much with the southern hemisphere?

IMG_20180819_232128.jpg Screenshot_2018-08-19-23-23-14-511_com.google.android.apps.maps.png