Newest acquisition not a clock but has clockworks - need help identifying

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Probox, May 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Probox

Probox Registered User

Oct 27, 2015
    Public Housing Government
    Halifax Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I really need your help on this one. I recently acquired the brass item in the pictures and I have no idea what it is. It is all constructed of brass. It has a winding arbor in the front behind a little door. On the door it says "improved - warranted" and something else that is unreadable. There extends a long tube and at the top of the tube there is what appears to be a brass hanging assembly to hang the item. inside the tube a string hangs down and is attached to something inside. On the bottom of the brass base is a round bullet shaped device that can be pulled out and it retracts as if on an elastic. When I wind the arbor I hear sounds from the item as if wheels are turning and on the bottom of the device I see two little "tits" extrudng and they are turning back and forth in a washing machine motion. The item weighs about 2.34 lbs and measures 13 " high.

What is it?

My guess is it's something from an antique auto or bus? Maybe there's a part missing that would make it easier to identify. I know it's not a clock...lol but this is the only forum full of antique buffs that I belong to and I checked the posting rules and it does not violate any of the six rules. I am not selling the item. Please your help if you may. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Probox

Probox Registered User

Oct 27, 2015
    Public Housing Government
    Halifax Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! Thank you so much Peter! I can finally sleep now that I know what it is. This forum is such a resource! Thanks again.