Newest Acquisition - Cartier JLC

Wynot

Dec 16, 2016
Country
I bought this last week in an on-line auction and it arrived today. I wasn't disappointed. This is branded Cartier on the dial and is powered by a Jaeger-LeCoultre caliber 210 16 jewel baguette movement. The case is marked (in two places) European Watch and Clock Company. Google tells me that the European Watch and Clock Company was a joint venture between Cartier and JLC that began in 1919. I'd previously read where, in 1907, JLC and Cartier entered into a contract where, for fourteen years, all JLC movements would be exclusive to Cartier.

Does anyone have any information on the European Watch and Clock Company? How long did the joint venture run? Does the collaboration still exist in some form? What clocks/watches were produced? DSC09223.JPG

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Edmond Jaeger died in 1922, but the collaboration between Cartier and Jaeger, later Jaeger-Lecoultre (JLC), endured for decades. “In the industry, JLC were known as ‘the watchmaker’s watchmaker’. My grandfather, Jean-Jacques, used their movements for his Cartier London creations in the 1950s and 1960s.

Wynot

Dec 16, 2016
Country
Edmond Jaeger died in 1922, but the collaboration between Cartier and Jaeger, later Jaeger-Lecoultre (JLC), endured for decades. “In the industry, JLC were known as ‘the watchmaker’s watchmaker’. My grandfather, Jean-Jacques, used their movements for his Cartier London creations in the 1950s and 1960s.
Thank you for your response. What amazing memories you must have!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ningxis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff