newbie on board from UK

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by turnbacktime, Mar 17, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. turnbacktime

turnbacktime New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    thanks for letting me join this group...I am 60 years old and live in Peterborough, Cambridgeshire in the UK...have been restoring wind up vintage mantel clocks and alarm clocks for about the last year....really enjoy the Smiths, Enfield, Bentime, Garrard Chiming mantel clocks and Smiths nodding alarm clocks...am learning all the time....first clocks I brought just needed a good clean and oiling...but have now completed a few spring replacements..also have repaired a few Anniversary and Carriage clocks
    But am after a bit of advice, have repaired and have working this antique French movement mantel clock but the clock gains about an hour a day....looking for help to maintain normal time

Attached Files: Download all post attachments

2. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User

Jun 20, 2013
    Welcome turnbacktime! You'll find there are quite a few UK members on here, I live down in Kent :)

An hour a day is a lot! How strongly is the clock running, is the balance wheel getting good rotation? How did you clean that part?

I'm sure other more experienced people will be along to help, but I just wanted to say hello :)

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator

Sep 7, 2000
    Also wish you a warm welcome to the NAWCC Message Board. Thanks for posting your info and inquiry as well as the photos of your "problem" clock.

Regarding the problem of running too fast, I notice the rating arm for the balance spring (hairspring) is in "maximum slow" position, so you have no room left for adjustment there. Two possibilities are that (1) the hairspring has been shortened by someone or improperly replaced with a spring that is too short or too strong, or (2) The coils of the hairspring are touching each other or touching the outside of the regulation slide which will cause the clock to run fast.

The regulation slide is either a small arm with a slot or a loop of wire connected to the rating arm, it moves along the end coil of the hairspring to effectively lengthen or shorten it and change the rate. I suspect the second reason is the problem, you need to check closely while the clock is running to see if there is any touching between coils of the hairspring, or a coil touching the regulation slide on the outside, or the regulation slide having too large an opening where the hairspring coil fits through. You will need a bright light, would actually be best to remove the movement from the case and place it on a stand so you can see the balance and hairspring full view.

4. turnbacktime

turnbacktime New Member

Mar 17, 2017
    have taken the hairspring out as seen in the pictures....think I have now fixed the problem ....I turned the collett on the hairspring around a bit on the shaft of the balance wheel which in effect once fitted would give more swing....did this and once refitted the clock is now keeping excellent time.....does this sound feasible , can the collett of the hairspring gradually turn a bit over the years causing a clock to gain time? 20170323_073546.jpg 20170323_073613.jpg 20170323_082206.jpg

5. THTanner

THTanner Registered User

Jul 3, 2016
    A fine example of a "back winder" someone was asking about.