Newbie looking for direction.

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Goodwood, Nov 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Goodwood

Goodwood Registered User

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Trees + Wood
    Chico, CA
    Country Flag:
    Hello!

I have been lurking here for a while and posting for the first time. My Grandfather-in-law is a clock enthusiast and has turned me (who is a woodworker) on to the idea of making a clock case. The problem I am encountering is finding a movement that works for my project.

Here is what I would like:

1) weight driven
    2) 8 day
    3) time only

I have found a few american made movements on ebay but am unsure how much work one may need to get one running. And $175+ seems like a lot to spend on a movement that we cannot confirm is 8 day or are unsure if it needs repairs or extra parts.

Is there a reputable place you folks might recommend to find a movement that fits these criteria?

2. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired, not tired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello Goodwood and welcome to the NAWCC Message Board.

Are you looking to make a large mantel/shelf, wall or tall case clock?

If you're looking for a factory fresh movement, try contacting MARK A. BUTTERWORTH for some direction/advice. That link is to his business website. You can also contact him by starting a private "Conversation" with him on the Message Board. Perhaps he'll see this Thread and weigh in.

Depending on what you want to do, you may need to review your budget.

Bruce

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Registered User

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Trees + Wood
    Chico, CA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Bruce.
    I believe I am looking at a wall clock. I like the size of the Seth Thomas No. 2. Overall height being somewhere around 32 inches. Would go smaller if need be.

Ill contact Mark A. Butterworth

4. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you have two choices… essentially. You can go for a movement that ticks seconds and requires a 39 inch or so pendulum, or you can go for a ST #2 type movement with a 22 inch or so pendulum that beats 80 times a minute… making every tech actually 3/4 of a second.

there are typically several of the latter for sale on ebay at any given time... the #61 movement that was in the earlier #2s, as well as the #77 variants that came later.

i still remember when i learned that it takes a long pendulum to beat seconds, and that my #2’s seconds chapter ring lied.... yes, it took 60 seconds for the second hand to go around, but ticked 80x/minute.

i have a bunch of larger wall clocks with seconds pendulums and they make me happy. i would do lots of reading in the forums here and figure out what overall size you want. if it’s 36” overall or so, finding movements will probably be easier. a seconds pendulum and movement are going to require at least 40” or so from the bottom of the pendulum bob to the center of the dial... requiring a case at least 50-ish inches tall.

most movements you’ll come across are going to run 8 days... pendulum length is what can vary.

check out some of my larger seconds beating wall clocks at bruce's CLOCKS

5. Goodwood

Goodwood Registered User

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Trees + Wood
    Chico, CA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Bruce Linde!

That Gaskin tall case is a beauty!

I think I am looking for something similar to a Seth Thomas no.2. On the smaller side would be better, as I will be using some super special/private stash Claro Walnut to construct the case. I dont want to go over-board...yet.

6. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #6 Willie X, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    Good,

My number one rule would be to have your movement on a stand, running 8 days and keeping time BEFORE, thats a big BEFORE, you add any measurements to your case drawing. Some critical measurements are: total weight drop in 8 days, pendulum to glass or door frame, pendulum or weight to back board, pendulum swing to side boards, dial to hour hand and hand shaft nut to glass

I have found it best to have clearances between all the moving parts to be 1/2" minimum. This is easy to do if it's well thought out from the start. Exceptions to the 1/2" rule are the last two dial and bezel measurements. They need to be closer, at around 1/4" but not crowded.

Good luck, Willie X

bruce linde likes this.
  7. Goodwood

Goodwood Registered User

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Trees + Wood
    Chico, CA
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Willie. I will have a tried and true works before any cuts will be made. Seems like it would be an adventure trying find works to fit a case, especially with my parameters.

8. Goodwood

Goodwood Registered User

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Trees + Wood
    Chico, CA
    Country Flag:
    I see a few One-weight Vienna movements that have a dial and hands. They also seem to be less expensive. Would there be any reason not to use one of these?

9. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, I think one of those would be a good choice. Most of them are very good quality and worth repairing in case they shouldn't run. These movements usually use a pulley for the weight. Take this into account when calculating the case dimensions.

Uhralt

10. Goodwood

Goodwood Registered User

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Trees + Wood
    Chico, CA
    Country Flag:
    I appreciate the reply Urhalt.
    I will keep this in mind when math gets involved.

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    If you do decide to buy a Vienna style movement, keep in mind that these require a matching mount and a matching dial. IOWs you will need the movement/dial/mount assembly. Also, they are delicate and can be finicky.
    WIllie X

12. Goodwood

Goodwood Registered User

Nov 30, 2019
    Male
    Trees + Wood
    Chico, CA
    Country Flag:

Willie,

Good to know, that was one of my next questions as most of them seem to have the dial and mount. However, I was just informed my Grandfather-in-law just purchased a ST no.2 reproduction for a very reasonable price. Seems to be in good shape and is missing what I think is called the crutch ( attaches to verge arbor and connects to pendulum.) Will post pictures when I put my paws on it.