Newbie has a pocket watch and not much of a clue............

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by dgjjr, Mar 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. dgjjr

dgjjr New Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Then - retired USAF Now - Human Resources Mgr
    Blacksburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hello and thank you for allowing me to post to this forum. I'd like to find out more about a ladies pocket watch I purchased at a recent estate auction. The movement does not have the name of a maker that I recognize but does have the name of the Jewelry store on both the movement and face..........Maier and Berkely, Atlanta, Georgia. From my limited research is appears to be a Private Label Elgin movement. The movement is about 1 1/4 inches in diameter and is housed in a Warranted 14K Gold US Assay case. If I'm right, the serial number suggests manufacture around 1900. The Jewelry Company is still in business under the Maier name but has changed hands several times and no longer has records for the pocket watches they sold. The serial number is 8434037. The watch will not run...... Please excuse my use or misuse of any related terms.........this is my first adventure into this world. Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide. dgjjr

Maier pocket watch 2.JPG Maier pocket watch face.JPG

2. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    You are correct, this is a private label Elgin. Looks to be 6 size. I'd have to check the Elgin S/n list for more info.

Congrats on your find.

Greg

3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your watch is an Elgin 0-size, grade 222 manufactured in 1899.

Here is a Maier and Berkele 16 size Illinois that I have in my collection. Interesting to hear that they are still in business.

Attached Files:

4. dgjjr

dgjjr New Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Greg and Dave: Wow,,,,,,,,that was quick and thank you for the positive ID. Before today, I thought only Whiskey had Private Labels........live and learn. Is this a quality movement worth repairing? dgjjr

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like a 7 jewel movement, on the low end of grades, nice find though.

6. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Note also that your bezel is missing. These can be replaced, but that would be another expense to put it in proper order.

7. dgjjr

dgjjr New Member

Mar 11, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I kinda suspected it was a lower end movement. I had removed the bezel for the photographs.........I think I have a complete watch..........just don't have any idea how extensive an effort would be required to restore the movement to working condition. dgj

8. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sometimes we purchase for quality. Sometimes we purchase for beauty. Sometimes it is just for special interest, such as a nice private-label (PL) model. With PL watches I don't think it matters if it is just a 7-jewel movement. For the big companies like Elgin or Waltham there are still many replacement parts available. I recently bought a 7-jewel PL Hampden because it was from a jeweler in my home town.