Newbie clock project

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by D.P., Aug 23, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D.P.

D.P. Registered User

Aug 23, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone. I'm pretty new to clocks and within the last year or so have suddenly developed an increasing interest in them. Usually I just stick to watches to my tinkering, but it seems my tendency to not leave well enough alone has moved over into clocks. I've developed an interest in regulators and master clocks. I'd love to have a real master clock but cant afford one yet, so in the meantime I'm trying to build a regulator out of junk clock parts and scrap I have lying about. I used a junky Hermle 1161 movement. Removed all but the time side parts and installed butterworth bearings for the cable drum and pulleys(after a thorough cleaning of course) and swapped two of the wheels to make it 60bpm from 66bpm. It runs ok with my crappy pendulum and probably 4lbs weight. My current area of concern is that it lacks a maintaining power mechanism. Perhaps I should have used a kieninger movement? Most of the movements I use are from the 70s and 80s. Did any of the makers then use power reserves in their movements? I apologize for the case and other parts. I don't know what I'm doing and have very few tools.

IMG_0650.JPG

2. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the NAWCC message board and the wonderfully addictive pursuit of horology!
    Since the clock is running, you are off to a great start. Many of us started the exact same way as you by tinkering with existing parts; first just to get it running and then trying to make it better. Accumulate the tools you need as you go; that will become an addiction in itself.
    I don't see maintaining power in many modern movements, but I'm sure some exist. You may end up making your own!
    Allan

3. dandydude

dandydude Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Male
    Clockmaker
    India
    Country Flag:
    I don't know id there are power reserves really in clocks. Watches have so that you know how much power is left. In a weight driven clock you can see how far down the weight has fallen and you would know how much power is left.