Help Newbie 1930's SETH Thomas Spray repair help

jdeisman

Dec 1, 2019
Country
Hi there! I'm new to world of antique clock repair, but a friend of mine gave me their heirloom vintage 1930s Seth Thomas Spray electric wall clock to repair. It looks to me like the wires came unsoldered from wherever they were soldered to. The only problem is I have no idea where they originally were....
Does anyone have a picture of the internals of one of these clocks or have any tips to how I can re-solder the wires? Thanks a lot!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looks like all the old wiring, along with the field coil, is toast. You will have to weight the cost of restoring the old movement vs replacing it with something new; often you can keep the old hands, which is nice. It will take a very strong sentimental connection to warrant a professional restoration.

Welcome to the MB, WIllie X

jdeisman

Dec 1, 2019
Country
Looks like all the old wiring, along with the field coil, is toast. You will have to weight the cost of restoring the old movement vs replacing it with something new; often you can keep the old hands, which is nice. It will take a very strong sentimental connection to warrant a professional restoration.

Welcome to the MB, WIllie X
Okay, that makes sense to me,
I figured the wiring was shot, wasn't sure about the field coil. Thanks!

bangster

NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Timesavers probably carries a movement that can be fitted to it.

I'm wrong. They don't.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Timesavers probably carries a movement that can be fitted to it.

I'm wrong. They don't.
If you are looking for a "plug-n-play" drop in replacement Bangs is correct, and safely restoring that old movement is not a simple DIY task, but Timesavers does offer several possible replacements;

Their Synchron bottom set type c motor, Timesavers is an electric mechanical movement available in several hand shaft lengths (the pictures are all the same and show the back set version.

There electric movements number 20529, 13262, 23550, 23549 Electric Movement-17/32" Handshaft is a compact electric movement that mounts like a quartz movement and is available in several hand shaft lengths.

Then there are a number of battery quartz movements available.

Almost any movement swap is going to require some "creative engineering" to mount the replacement movement and adapt the original hands, or perhaps replace the hands. That's a neat looking old electric clock. I hope a way is found to extend its life.

RC

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waynebernelli
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool