New York Standard Crown Wheel: Removable?

James Wrobel

NAWCC Member
Jan 17, 2020
Country
This post relates to "Lavina 105 (?) Ratchet wheel screw. Left hand?".

When trying to remove the crown wheel screw on a NYSTD 1573, I could not budge it, left or right. I removed the keyless works and discovered that the wheel does not need to be removed to get the barrel bridge off. The right angle gear is on the other side of the plate.

Therefore, I ask the experts: does this wheel need to be (or was it meant to be) removed at all?

Thanks,
jjw

IMG_1002.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
Looking at the underside with magnification you should be able to see the end of the thread and screw, and determine which way it goes. It's probably left handed but you can just look and see it.

James Wrobel

NAWCC Member
Jan 17, 2020
Country
I looked at close as I can. I can barely see threads, but not with enough clarity to tell which way they go. I turned the screw with as much force as I dare to do in both directions, and it won't budge.

Honestly, I don't want to ruin the screw because I won't be able to fix it. Given that I have successfully removed the bridge anyway, I'm going to leave it alone, but I'm interested in why the wheel would have to be removed. Oiling, perhaps, but it's not like other wheels I have seen.

Thanks,
jjw

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
To illustrate, I took a photo of the first one of these I found, a Bulova 6BM, an itty bitty wristwatch movement. You can see following the arrow the thread is going downhill (away from us) leading underneath, which shows that it's a lefthand thread. Imagine turning the screw in the direction of the arrow, you can see it will move away from us. So if I would flip it over and turn the screw head to the right, it would loosen.

shot0106.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ducnguyen
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre