New York New York Self Winding Clock

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by GjP, Mar 7, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. GjP

GjP Registered User

Jan 9, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just purchased this a couple of weeks ago and finally got it up on the wall. I believe it's a #16 but I've seen some sites say a #9. It has a rotary movement but only 2 sets of coils not the usual 3 sets. Wood is blk walnut came out really nice after all the dirt and dust was removed. On the inside bottom of the case there are some numbers/markings.
    1. 16
    2. 12 ohm
    3. C2
    4 a plate with 8575 stamped on it, this number is also stamped on the works
    5. BM is right over the plate.
    6. There is also a small label but it's so blk can't read what is on it.

Anybody know what these mean? Thanks

SAM_0076.JPG SAM_0080.JPG SAM_0085.JPG SAM_0071.JPG SAM_0072.JPG SAM_0073.JPG SAM_0074.JPG

2. Alan

Alan Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi GjP,
    I have several self winding clock company clocks with numbers and/or letters stamped into the bottom of the case. I was also puzzled by the markings and figured there was a logical reason they were there. This led me to a study of self winding clock company cases and components. With information from several collectors I think I broke the mysterious code. It is very simple and logical. It also led me to publish my findings in the NAWCC Watch & Clock Bulletin. The article is titled "The ABC's of the Self Winding Clock Company's Rotary Movement". Vol.54/6 No.400 November/December 2012.
    If you look up the article you will find the early cases were marked with the model number, the movement serial number and the beat of the movement. Also something about the two pole motor.
    Hope this answers your questions. Alan

3. GjP

GjP Registered User

Jan 9, 2011
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Alan,

thanks for the info.