New watch mail Horribly packed.

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Jskirk, Apr 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jskirk

Jskirk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Male
    Union electrician
    Indy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #1 Jskirk, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2020
    So I have been waiting for this to arrive A Illinois PL model 61. It came today very poorly packed with a shattered crystal. I purchased this from etsy and have filed for a refund.
    The watch is running pretty well so far, the dial and movement match, the Penn Yan New York private label is cool though.
    Never seen a grade 61, is this a decent grade, pocketwatch database shows it as railroad grade?
    Thanks
    Jay

20200428_192054.jpg 20200428_191619.jpg 20200428_191638.jpg

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Depending on what you paid for it I'd consider just getting a new crystal.
    Maybe they will pay the damage and pay for a crystal for you. If it was sent USPS priority it
    comes with $50 insurance.

Rob

3. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It is an adjusted grade, so should have been OK for RR use when made.

Jskirk likes this.
  4. Jskirk

Jskirk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Male
    Union electrician
    Indy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rob,
    Although this did come damaged I may just get the Crystal replaced. I will wait for the response from the seller if he is willing to offer any reparations.
    Jay

5. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Dave,

I disagree. When this mvt was made (early to mid 1890s) RR grade mvts were expected to be adjusted and so marked. Of the top of my head, I can't think of a RR during this time frame that approved a specific grade that was not actually marked "Adjusted".
    But that's just my opinion.

Greg

Bryan Eyring, Kent and John Cote like this.
  6. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i'm inclined to agree with Greg...

but i have a waltham keywind for the same Jeweler ... Hopkins, one of my 'first' watches.

7. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    I knew a huge collector from Indiana named Kurt Hopkins who collected as many of these as he could find. He had one on a chain in his vest pocket when he was laid to rest.

And I agree with Greg that, even if some railroads might have accepted this into service at the time of its manufacture, the gr 61 was never intended as a RR grade watch. This is a very cool PL though.

Jskirk and 179 like this.
  8. 179

179 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 16, 2008
    John, how huge was he? :). I never met Kurt.

9. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    I share Greg's opinion. The Railroad Time Service Watch Rules of the early-to-mid 1890s that I've seen required at least adjustment to heat and cold (aka: adjustment to temperature). No marking of "adjusted" equaled not accepted into time service.

10. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Well, he was a decent sized guy. I will tell a Curt (I think it was Curt with a C for Curtis...sorry) story. I know that some of you knew him. I think he had well over 5,000 pocket watches when he died. So, one day, years ago, I bought a very nice 18s Bunn Special hunter, PL for Palliard's Non Magnetic Watch Co. It was a beauty in a solid gold case and with a blazer movement. The only issue with the watch is that somewhere along the line someone had replaced the cap jewel and setting on the balance cock with a low color jewel in a composition setting. It stuck out like a sore thumb to me. I knew Curt had a lot of parts so I called him and a couple of days later the proper pink gold, high red colored ruby jewel in setting came to my house in the mail with an invoice for $4.00...FOUR FREAKIN' DOLLARS. I called Curt again and told him I wanted to pay him more. He basically called me a young whippersnaper and told me $4.00 was all he would take.

11. Tim Fitzgerald

Tim Fitzgerald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 2, 2016
    Male
    Artist
    Oak island North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great story. John

12. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
    Nice private label, if it were me and I otherwise liked the watch and felt fair about the price I'd deal with the crystal and keep it rather than consider a return. That said I'd certainly contact the seller about the poor packaging and damage it resulted in, and if they are willing to make a reasonable concession for the crystal I'd take them up on it.

I'm always amazed at how many people out there seem to think a padded envelope with no further protection is a good way to ship a watch (or movement, dial, etc.). A good sturdy box costs about 35 cents from Uline, not much of an investment to substantially reduce the potential for damage.

Also one last thought, out of consideration for privacy it's probably best not to show a seller's name and address on a public message board.

John Cote and Jskirk like this.
  13. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I did not notice this before thanks for pointing it out. I removed them.

Rob

14. Jskirk

Jskirk Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Male
    Union electrician
    Indy
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Opps I guess I didn't see that or I would have cropped that out. Those were a couple of pictures I sent to him while reporting the damage, of which I have not had a response.
    I have decided to keep it and send it to someone to have a crystal installed. I didn't pay alot for it anyway. It is running pretty good, just a little fast.
    Thanks
    Jay

15. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it's just a crystal I keep a watch. If it was a damaged Staff or something - that's bad, but a crystal… meh… only super cool, vintage crystals are a real loss, most of tchem are just a shame, nothing more.