New toy

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Hi all this arrived today, never used one before so it will be a big learning experience, but it’s more or less a lathe stood on it’s end isn’t it.
Still waiting for some other parts to arrive, also take the shed down re concrete base erect shed again reinforce floor insulate walls and roof reinstall electrics put everything back in shed, ( have I forgot anything) yes read the book milling a complete course.
Dell
5CFDE9F2-01B7-47E1-BA8C-9A7BB9635A20.jpeg A59D25D0-9BFD-4385-A13B-550FACCEFE93.jpeg

etmb61

NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2010
Mascoutah, IL
Country
Region
I love new toys! I've used my mill as a lathe, but you can destroy more stuff faster with a mill!

Eric

Reactions: Dells

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Congratulations. I am envious, but not of the shed work!

I think Warco actually issues (their own?) certificate of a machine's accuracy. Did one come with it?

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Hi Betzel
Yes a certificate did come with it , I have been meaning to do the shed for a long time the new toy was just the nudge I needed to get it done, as the shed has developed a slant and floor gets wet , I am going to add a second floor on top to give it extra strength and insulation to walls at the same time then I will have two sheds to work in.

Reactions: Betzel

karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
Linköping, Sweden
Country
How does your certificate read? Your mill looks a lot like a smaller version of my Cormak HK25. I asked for specs on runout and other precision measurments but was informed that such data was not available.

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Thanks for posting. I think you did pretty well.

Like my so called "00 grade" surface plate, the certificates show tests were done, but we don't know by whom or when, and the certificate is not tied to a serial number, etc. as if I had bought a Mahr plate, but it is a darned good indication that it passed someone's quality inspection, which is reassuring. And, you can repeat these tests on your own if you have the equipment, etc.

Warco, Optimum, Proxxon and maybe a few others are an example to quality minded markets that it is possible to buy new machines made in China, made to meet requirements of demanding consumers. These firms who makes a fair profit by doing this. Yes, I'd rather have a machine made in one of our own countries from the good old days, but we have to be in the right place at the right time, recondition them and they are all 2 or 3 times as heavy ;-)

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
No the other side of the sheet it has serial number date tested and signature and name of inspector.
Dell

Betzel

NAWCC Member
Dec 1, 2010
Country
Region
Wallis turns to Gromit (flying past), smiles and says: "Ha ho...Well done, lad"

So, do you think the inspection was done by Warco in the UK, or perhaps in China?

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
It was definitely done by Warco as I checked that when I purchased it and they also say it on there website that they thoroughly check everything before dispatch ( but they can say it but that doesn’t mean they do it ) but I asked and that’s all I can do and take there word for it .
Inspection date was end of January this year.
Dell

Reactions: Betzel

measuretwice

Jul 28, 2019
Toronto
Country
but it’s more or less a lathe stood on it’s end isn’t it.
haha, just about. generally a lathe revoles the work and a mill revolves the cutting tool, but each can be pressed into service the other way around

congrats and good for you....a nice little mill opens a world of new possibilities. A bit of reading ought to provide the basics - work holding and cutting speeds being the main things. If you re new to machining, wear safety glass...it cab throw chips unlike a watchmakers lathe. Start with light cuts and feeds until you learn the machine

Reactions: Dells

wefalck

Mar 29, 2011
Paris
Country
Yes, a milling machine tends to be messier than a lathe, with small chips flying all over the place. For some years now very comfortable safety glasses are on the market that fit around the head like the ones cyclists wear. There are also safety glasses with correction lenses, I have a pair +2, which are handy for closer looks on small parts.

I always wear an apron in the workshop, because the milling chips really get everywhere and can be like tiny needles ending up in your clothes.

Dells

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2019
In the cotswolds UK
Country
Region
Hi wefalck
I get my safety glasses supplied by my employer so I always have one or two pairs sat around I always use them on the lathe and when I am doing clocks as I can’t see without them,(age thing )and an apron for that matter but good advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WojtekMr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre