New to this, still learning

Discussion in 'Clock Construction' started by Duzzy, Sep 29, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Duzzy

Duzzy Registered User

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi everyone,

Im wanting to build a grandfather clock, I’m undecided if I want to get a kit or put one together myself.

My questions are

~ is HB plans the only plan company? If not some of companies links?
    ~ I can’t afford to buy the clock parts outright so have to do it part by part weights, chimes, faces, movements any other significant parts?
    ~ can I design my own?

Regards Duzzy

2. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome Duzzy,
    One suggestion is to find an antique movement and make a case for it. Make sure you get the weights and pendulum with it so they are all compatible. You might also find one with a dial. This approach will also give you some exposure to working on the movement if it needs any repairs.
    While there are probably many sources for case plans, take a look at the American Clock and Watch Museum. These plans will allow you to build a case based on historically significant designs. Perhaps others can suggest more modern designs if that is your style.
    Keep us posted on your progress,
    Allan

3. Duzzy

Duzzy Registered User

Sep 29, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Allan,

Newer is the plan but struggling to find info on if I get this movement what are my options for weights, face etc, the other thing is I need the internal sizes so I can draw/design my own case, my father is currently building one out of solid Jarrah actually we were polishing it this morning but he followed the plan. I’m thinking of using that plan keeping the internal specifications exact and drawing the externals myself that’s how I did my bed, dining and coffee tables and the rest of our furniture. I’m after a challenging project.

Regards Darren

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Surely better to find the dial and movement you want first and build your case then? Plenty of orphans about over here that can be packed up by the auction house to get to you. You could have a really nice 18th century clock given a new lease of life.