• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Eureka New (to me) Tall Eureka

wisty

Dec 24, 2014
Country
I have wanted a tall movement Eureka for a while. I recently acquired one from a well known Auction site. It runs (just). It is in need of a good clean, new pin & flag set and some TLC on the case - the top glass has dropped out - I have it but need to make some new stretchers to hold it in. The battery retaining plate appears original, unlike the wiring.

I am not sure if John Hubby is still collecting details for his register, but I attach some pictures in case he is.

Serial no 9048. Tall movement. Three ball bearings. Not all wheels crossed out. Full dial signed Eureka Clock Co London. Arabic numerals. Spade hands. No 6 mahogany high bevelled four glass case - the top is removable.

Eureka Tall Front Plate Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Base Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Case Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Front Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Rear Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Three Quarter Crop.jpg

John Hubby

Senior Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
Sep 7, 2000
The Woodlands, TX
Country
Region
I have wanted a tall movement Eureka for a while. I recently acquired one from a well known Auction site. It runs (just). It is in need of a good clean, new pin & flag set and some TLC on the case - the top glass has dropped out - I have it but need to make some new stretchers to hold it in. The battery retaining plate appears original, unlike the wiring.

I am not sure if John Hubby is still collecting details for his register, but I attach some pictures in case he is.

Serial no 9048. Tall movement. Three ball bearings. Not all wheels crossed out. Full dial signed Eureka Clock Co London. Arabic numerals. Spade hands. No 6 mahogany high bevelled four glass case - the top is removable.
Wisty, thanks for posting your "new" Eureka Model 6. Looks like you found a very nice example that only needs modest refurbishing of the contact elements and case restoration. I didn't have this one in my database, and yes, I'm always looking for more examples to include. I now have over 270 clocks documented, just about enough to consider trying to statistically determine approximately how many they made of each model. I have four more that I've tagged but haven't included yet in the data that I need to get working on, maybe there may be some time to do a little data sorting and see what comes out.

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
I love Eureka. Congrats on your new clock.

Timesavers did have the flag contact set and I bought replacement glass disks from Carlton Clocks in the UK.

I haven't replaced any parts in my Eureka yet as it keeps quite decent time..

I use the Regulated #6 dry cell with a antique label and I just replaced the batteries afte a year.I have it set for 3.something volts and haven't actually tried it at 1.5 yet.

Jim

James McDermaid

Apr 29, 2011
Peter Smith is the author of the link in the previous post. He apparently was doing restoration on Eureka Clocks in the UK although I believe he no longer does this.

He was making some parts such as the flag contact and the contact pin for which he had made some special tooling.

There are several of those restoration histories to be found on the web by Peter Smith. Everything you could want to know about Eureka's

Jim

wisty

Dec 24, 2014
Country
Some Eureka clock parts can be purchased at the link below, including the contact flags.
Thanks, I am in contact with Ian at Carlton Clocks, and have got a new pin & flag set and wire from him. Now I just need the time to get to the clock.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hnhanarch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit