Eureka New (to me) Tall Eureka

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by wisty, Jan 2, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wisty

wisty Registered User

Dec 24, 2014
    Country Flag:
    I have wanted a tall movement Eureka for a while. I recently acquired one from a well known Auction site. It runs (just). It is in need of a good clean, new pin & flag set and some TLC on the case - the top glass has dropped out - I have it but need to make some new stretchers to hold it in. The battery retaining plate appears original, unlike the wiring.

I am not sure if John Hubby is still collecting details for his register, but I attach some pictures in case he is.

Serial no 9048. Tall movement. Three ball bearings. Not all wheels crossed out. Full dial signed Eureka Clock Co London. Arabic numerals. Spade hands. No 6 mahogany high bevelled four glass case - the top is removable.

Eureka Tall Front Plate Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Base Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Case Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Front Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Rear Crop.jpg Tall Eureka Three Quarter Crop.jpg

etmb61 and Steve Murphy like this.
  2. Steve Murphy

Steve Murphy Registered User

Jan 8, 2007
    Male
    Sierra Madre, Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    nice clock, wish I had one

3. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's a beauty!

Eric

4. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wisty, thanks for posting your "new" Eureka Model 6. Looks like you found a very nice example that only needs modest refurbishing of the contact elements and case restoration. I didn't have this one in my database, and yes, I'm always looking for more examples to include. I now have over 270 clocks documented, just about enough to consider trying to statistically determine approximately how many they made of each model. I have four more that I've tagged but haven't included yet in the data that I need to get working on, maybe there may be some time to do a little data sorting and see what comes out.

5. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    I love Eureka. Congrats on your new clock.

Timesavers did have the flag contact set and I bought replacement glass disks from Carlton Clocks in the UK.

I haven't replaced any parts in my Eureka yet as it keeps quite decent time..

I use the Regulated #6 dry cell with a antique label and I just replaced the batteries afte a year.I have it set for 3.something volts and haven't actually tried it at 1.5 yet.

Jim

6. Mr. Time

Mr. Time Registered User

Feb 13, 2017
    Male
    TEXAS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Mr. Time, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. James McDermaid

James McDermaid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Peter Smith is the author of the link in the previous post. He apparently was doing restoration on Eureka Clocks in the UK although I believe he no longer does this.

He was making some parts such as the flag contact and the contact pin for which he had made some special tooling.

There are several of those restoration histories to be found on the web by Peter Smith. Everything you could want to know about Eureka's

Jim

8. Snapper

Snapper Registered User

Nov 30, 2014
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Country Flag:
  9. wisty

wisty Registered User

Dec 24, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I am in contact with Ian at Carlton Clocks, and have got a new pin & flag set and wire from him. Now I just need the time to get to the clock.