New to me Silas Hoadley with bone bushed pivots

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Joe B, Oct 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is my newest reassembly project - It is in great condition just needs a little cleaning and TLC. Cleaned the movement and straightened two bent pivots and now it runs and keeps time perfectly! This is my first WW clock that Ill be keeping for my collection. The tablet has some bubbling paint but I think its original.. unsure. Ill post some more reassembled photos as I have them.
    IMG_8508.JPG IMG_8509.JPG IMG_8510.JPG IMG_8511.JPG IMG_8512.JPG IMG_8517.JPG IMG_8520.JPG IMG_8521.JPG IMG_8527.JPG

2. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you have a picture of the tablet? Thx.

Joe B likes this.
  3. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Here is a better one - what do you think? Original or repaint? Unfortunately its peeling a bit.

IMG_8583 2.jpg

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Fun clock.

Looks like some good original stenciling survives under a darkened varnish. Though not exclusive to him, the "mushroom" splat was something I tend to associate with his shelf clocks as well.

Hoadley's often had some of the nicest dials.

Love to see the tablet, too.

Hoadley has an interesting history in CT clock making. Much about him on the MB and in the Bulletin. Included in that are some of the interesting movements he used in his ww shelf clocks. This includes, of course, his "upside-down" movements and time piece alarm movements. Again, you will find info about these with just a bit of exploration.

I believe the movement in yours is a 3.111. I suspect the escape wheel bridge and the bridge for the strike wheel pinion were originally bone. They were replaced with brass. These movements were bushed in bone as well. So, I believe it would have originally looked more like this:

hoadley.PNG

Yes, a couple of hokey repairs to the winding arbors in the above example.

See this from Snowden's monumental work:

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1980/articles/1980/208/Part1/208_442.pdf

Here's are the relevant part:

hoadley 3.png

Still a nice clock. Enjoy.

RM

Joe B likes this.
  5. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    PS: Whilst I was typing, you posted the tablet.

I think the border is original with the stenciled flowers and brown back ground a later artistic effort. Most decorative but not correct in terms of style, theme and color palette.

Not unusual for the borders to survive with the center flaking away. Seems that someone made the best of what was there.

RM

PatH likes this.
  6. Joe B

Joe B Registered User

May 2, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the information. The movement still survives with all of its bone pivots - the only ones missing are the two you mention on the front plate for the escapement wheel etc.

The tablet is flaking a fair amount - debating what to do about that - especially now knowing its not original. I think I'll just try to stabilize it an leave it. Not sure.

Overall I'm happy with it.

7. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Ironically, it matches the stenciling better than the original one did?

Dealer's choice. Live with it and enjoy the clock. You should be happy with it. Always have the option to do something else. Might research some original ones and decide which you like best?

RM