New to Clocks - gifted an Atmos

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Michael K., Oct 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Michael K.

Michael K. New Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Male
    Terminal Manager
    Nashville, TN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My grandfather-in-law recently passed away and my wife and I are getting a few of his older trinkets. I picked out a few of his desk clocks because of their look and one because I was told it was "solar, or something ...it essentially never needs to be wound". So last night I got home and un-packed my clocks and was instantly distracted upon setting up the first clock. As soon as I set it up and started searching the internet for what kind of clock I was in possession of, I realized that I had a LeCoultre Atmos clock (Seriel #25866). Once I watched a video or two on how it works, I was amazed! I am in absolute shock that my in-laws let me have such a cool (and apparently collectible) clock as a gift!

It is in (perfect) working condition, from what I can tell. They had it looked at by a professional before distributing all the clocks. And it seems to be running flawlessly. But I wanted to make sure that I was caring for it properly. I see that some of these clocks seem to be worth some money and I want to treat it as such. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and sorry if this format is weird...I am new to the forum and site!

(I can attach better pictures from home later if it helps anything)

Atmos 1.jpg Atmos 2.jpg

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board, Michael! I think a moderator will likely move this thread to the 400-Day & Atmos portion of the board for better visibility.

Atmos clocks run on changes in temperature as well as a little bit by atmospheric pressure (I think). They are very highly designed clocks and will keep good time. One caution in terms of moving the hands. Only move the minute hand and do so only when the pendulum has rotated all the way in one direction or the other. If yours has a lock for the pendulum, catch the pendulum at full rotation and then use the lock.

The serial number dates the clock to probably the first half of 1950. Possibly include a picture showing the whole clock from the front and maybe the side as well.

Congrats with your clock!

Kurt

Michael K. likes this.