New Shop Regulator

Discussion in 'Clock Case Restoration and Repair' started by tom427cid, Jun 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am a great fan of Tim Allen and Home Improvement. To that end I believe in horsepower. I have a wall regulator in my shop and over the years I have been increasing it's size. First there was a ST #2 it met the criteria-weight driven, time only, and a second hand. Then there was a 46-48" Vienna. Then came a #18 Gilbert regulator-77" tall and a sweep second hand. Now we are getting somewhere. Then I found a vacant case at auction, this thing was almost a foot taller than the Gilbert and used a 14" dial. Now to find a movement. Fast forward a year or so and there showed up at auction a Bawo and Dotter TO movement and dial, a 14" porcelain dial and pendulum so off to the auction. Then the pieces sat around for a year or so. Last week it was time because the Gilbert had gone to a new home. The movement was cleaned and polished, fabricated a set of hands(all silver soldered), a harp was added to the pendulum, and other pieces were polished. When I got the case it had a pierced fan thing for the crest, it looked like a flaminco dancers headdress on steroids. Couldn't wait to remove it. Worked on a couple of designs but each seemed to lack something. Eventually the clock talked to me an told me what I needed to do. The case was in pretty rough shape and had been crudely repaired, all the dowel joints were redone the crack in the back was closed up,I changed the quarter round that was nailed in(cut nails) to hold the glass to mimic the glass retainers on the door, and created a new crest. Oh, and erected a sub-wall to hang the clock. The pendulum alone weighs a bit over 12 lbs. This AM when I began to install the movement I discovered that the movement was 1/4" to tall for the case, had to get a bit creative but now everything fits. And it weighs in at just a touch over 90" tall ! DSCF0872.JPG DSCF0761.JPG DSCF0997.JPG DSCF0998.JPG DSCF1002.JPG DSCF1004.JPG The door is not yet finished but I have customers to take care of.
    Hope you enjoy
    tom

Dave T, Time After Time and gleber like this.
  2. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's gorgeous!

Make one for me!!!

Tom

3. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a great project! Thanks for sharing it with us.

At 90" was it a one-man or two-man job to move/hang it?

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    holy crap tom! that crest looks amazing! you did all that carving? wow. you are very talented. i am indeed impressed.

5. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you all for the kind words. The clock has been up and running now about two weeks. I did add a ST beat scale and made the mounting piece with slots so I can adjust to zero. And I am also quite pleased to add that during the last 3 days using my quartz watch as a guide the clock has gained a second!!
    One Of the things I noticed when doing the repairs there were 4 sets of holes that were equally spaced on the backboard. My guess is at one time this might have been a master clock.
    So far there have been a couple of my customers who have expressed an interest in the clock. Let me think about it, nope.
    tom