New Quantrex Q140 ultrasonic cleaner

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Rockin Ronnie, May 11, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ditched my Harbor Freight "special" this week and bought an L&R Quantrex Q140. I considered off brands like the myriad of Chinese cleaners on eBay, Amazon and so on but thought I would pay a little extra for what I think is a quality machine. I would be interested in members thoughts about this particular cleaner and the Quantrex name in general.

Ron

RS Q140_1.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I like the thinner and deeper look. That will make it easier to get the whole plate in. A bigger machine would have been better. As long as you get good action and it cleans well, all is good.

Rockin Ronnie likes this.
  3. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, perhaps too small for grandfather clock movements but great for everything else. There was a substantial price increase for the next size in their line. This one has a mechanical timer (sounds like a hairspring movement) and a pretty simple on-off switch for the heater.

Ron

4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    RR,
    You don't have to 'baby' it. Just make sure it has good ventilation at the bottom and it's always 3/4 full of solution, and party on.
    I clean nearly all larger plates by hand, so the size you have would be perfect in my estimation of things.
    Willie X

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice Ron, i hope it cleans well for you, for a long time.

6. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Let us know your thoughts on its performance Ronnie. I have a Chinese model that I've been pretty happy with but I have nothing to compare it with.

7. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've got a Chinese ultrasonic cleaner too. It makes interesting sunburst patterns on clock plates that I need to remove with a polish. Is this something to be expected or just my cheap machine?

Uhralt

8. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am going to be using it in the next few days. I am using Deox-007 as a cleaner and will report on that as well.

Ron

9. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting, that's a new one for me. But I do know that with mine the cleaning solution must be fairly new (clean) or it won't do a good job. I just figured that the cheap model wasn't strong enough to compensate for dirty solution but I don't have enough experience with better models. Aside from that it's been good.

10. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that might be true. I didn't have that problem when I first used it with a fresh solution. But now, as I have used the solution several times (and stupidly on a couple of mainsprings) it is dirty and causes the described pattern. Still, it degreases quite well but the result isn't that brilliant any more. Probably time for a fresh solution. I guess I'm just too cheap.

Uhralt

11. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And how often would you use the same solution, on average?

Ron

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I haven't cleaned mine since I got it two or three years ago. I add solution when needed though. Mine is a large cleaner, 3.5 gallons I think. Still does a good job, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and change the solution one of these days. :)

13. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It really depends on how dirty the parts are that you clean. I think I will change it as soon as I'm not satisfied with the result. It may also be a good idea to pre-clean very dirty parts, e.g. with brake cleaner before they go into the US.

Uhralt

14. Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Cleaned a clock movement this evening with a 4 to 1 mixture of Deox-007 for 30 minutes and I am very pleased with the results. I was surprised at how well it got the oil and dirt out of the lantern pinions.

Ron

15. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Try it for 10 minutes next time and see if there is any difference. Ultrasonics are da bomb for lantern pinions. Willie X