New purchase Double Decker Steeple Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Russell Dickson, Jul 28, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Russell Dickson

Russell Dickson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just picked this up very nice project clock. A double decker steeple clock purchased online. It runs and is an 8 day time and strike on the hour and the half hour, with a coil gong. I have no idea who the manufacturer is? I don't have pictures of the movement, when it arrives I will take some Got it for a very cheap price.
    It has some issues, the case appears to be vintage with its original finish, dial looks vintage, glass in the door is probably replacements. I believe double decker clocks usually have reverse painted tablets, this one has clear glass. Also no label inside, and the wrong pendulum. I also don't see finials or any spot on the case where they could have been, maybe this one didn't have finials to begin with? any thoughts? guesses at maker? be gentle......lol

s.jpg s-l1a600.jpg s-l16a00.jpg s-l16f00.jpg s-l16s00.jpg s-l1600.jpg

2. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    A very nice looking clock, I especially like the clean look it portrays.........I am curious about the hands and the rod with what may be and adjustable hammer head.
    My first thought maybe European ?
    Bruce

3. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I am thinking the same thing. The pendulum looks German, but I thought maybe someone didn't have the correct pendulum and just used what they had

4. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Not a period clock. Looks like a home made clock or a kit clock created well into the 20th century that sorta approximates a steeple on steeple.

RM

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It reminds me of one of the kit clocks that Mason & Sullivan used to sell. They definitely had a steeple clock, though I don't remember a model which had the additions at the sides and below. But it is a long time ago and I may not have remembered all the models.

I certainly don't think it is German.

JTD

Russell Dickson likes this.
  6. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Russell Dickson, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    If it is a Mason and Sullivan I will know it when it gets here they used German movements in their repro clocks and stamped their name on them prominently. I remember them making repro pillar and scrolls, but not steeple clocks.....the plot thickens. I think if anything it could be a period case the wood has patina from some age. It could be a period case with a Korean movement in it.

7. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    it will be interesting to see what the movement looks like.

the hands are an obvious mismatch. the minute serpentine definitely looks modern. that ogee profile on the sides of the cabinet above the lower door would be pretty difficult to make on home shop type tools. this seems like the most unique/odd part of the cabinet. i think its proportions look pretty good. the gong looks 'murcan but i agree the pendulum appears euro and likely german. maybe it is indeed a kit of some kind. the chances are pretty good that Bob is likely on point with this one.

8. tom427cid

tom427cid Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Cabinetmaker,clock repair
    Moultonborough,NH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looks like the "candle sticks" are missing. Also there don't appear to be any holes for them

9. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yeah I noticed that too. I mentioned it in my original comment. It doesnt look like it ever really had them on it. The case looks too nice to be a from a kit, but who knows it could be. I trust people opinions here. Should arrive in a couple days.

10. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I think that probably is what happened.

Yes, they definitely had a kit for steeple clocks, but not with all the additions that yours has.

Yes, it does.
    Mason and Sullivan certainly didn't supply gongs like that.

Who's Bob? I didn't see a post from any Bob but maybe I'm missing something.

JTD

11. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    = RM

12. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Thank you, Steven.

JTD

13. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the Mason and Sullivan movements that were placed in most of the repro's were Westminster chime too weren't they?
    Another observation, the strike hammer looks different than what was used on period movements too, looks modern?.

14. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess we will know soon enough, you are probably right. I'm not sold on the idea of the case being from kit, it is too nice and has patina on it. I think case is likely close to period and movement was later addition.

15. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Maybe it was made contemporaneously with the "period" examples, but I think not. That's not to say it may not have some age.

Compare to some random pix of "period" cases with a spring driven, wagon spring and fusee movement:

terry-and-andrews-1-jpg.jpg

208632-ca1f17bf33d51447936dbe8cea7a7a70.jpg

Not really very close in many respects.

We'll see. But I still think it's a later repro. Could still have some age?

If made in period, the case would have cut nails and other tell-tale signs of its period of construction.

RM

16. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    yeah there are some obvious differences for sure between this case and period examples. I pointed most of the differences out in my previous posts. You are probably right, interesting mystery though.

17. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mystery solved, looks like a modern German rack and snail movement.

20190803_090636[5073].jpg 20190803_090639[5074].jpg

18. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    well, darn. it does look more "home made" from this angle. its still enjoyable asthetically.

19. Russell Dickson

NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Male
    Freelance Writer
    New York
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Will be a nice little repair and sell project for me. I hope to acquire a real double decker steeple this year. I have been hunting for a while now.