New production exclusive pocket watches

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by DeweyC, May 15, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Read an article on Google news this AM about the current production of pocket watches on Switz that recall the days of precision pocket watches. Tissot to Longines.

It is like the resurgence of bell bottom pants and vinyl records. Harkening back I guess.

I am unsure why anyone would buy these when a nice real RR watch like a Hamilton 992 is far less. But, it may explain some of the trends I have seen.

2. John Cote

John Cote Director
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Dewey,

Could you please share a link to the article....I am too dumb to find it.

3. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    John,

I had, but someone objected to the link to the magazine article in my post :(and Rob had to delete it.

So it goes. I will PM the link to you.

4. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Unfortunately the article also has direct links(and prices) to buy the watches that are listed in the article so
    it would be best done by PM

Rob

5. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Rob. This was not an issue to me and I fully understand.

musicguy likes this.
  6. Allan Wolff

Allan Wolff Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Male
    Tulsa, OK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just search for "Modern Pocket Watches" and it should be near the top of the list.

7. Whereisitat

Whereisitat Registered User

Mar 14, 2017
    Country Flag:
    I did the google.
    Sadly it is Chinese movements and a few quartz pieces.

The movement with the center seconds is the cheapest mechanical movement they sell-I could get a whole watch from Amazonia for a tenner delivered. They are-or can be-ok movements.

I bought 3 of them as trainers when I 1st started working on watches. 1 was doa & never recovered. The other 2 were good & one of them is excellent. I installed it in a Seiko case & my wife wore it 2 years straight. And it kept very good time- like Rolex good.

But they are dry from the factory except for the balance & that is a maybe. So they all need a service from day 1.

There are a few craftsmen left making real timepieces. A select & expensive group.

So at least these will suffice as a fashion piece. Just hope it doesn't leave a bad taste in the newcomers style because it dies after a short time.

8. GeneJockey

GeneJockey Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Male
    Scientist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Because they think "new" = "reliable" and "old" = "worn out".

9. George Frick

George Frick Registered User

Sep 8, 2016
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sadly in todays society new is desirable, old is obsolete and should be discarded.
    Quality durable construction of an item built to last is not much sought after.
    We here are members of an exclusive club. We enjoy the beauty, the quality, the history, of these "Timeless" pieces.

Keith R... likes this.
  10. diveboy

diveboy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    Country Flag:
    this is where this organisation is very very silly at times, why delete the link ? we are all here sharing information, I don't get this organisation at times, its like you all want to shoot your own foot off while wondering why membership is dying.

yeh yeh, its against the rules, but sharing of information is more important than someone might accidentally go off and buy one on the link.