"New Posts" less flexible

Discussion in 'Message Board Help & Notices' started by Jerry Treiman, Jul 19, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 25, 2000
    I notice since yesterday that the New Posts function is less flexible than it was. Using a pull-down menu I used to be able to just select the new posts in a particular section or forum that I was interested in but now it gives me everything. Will this be fixed?

2. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    I'm also dealing with that now, now we need to click on what's
    new in the header then click on Activity Stream

Rob

3. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Jerry and all, this showed up after the reboot yesterday morning, but during the night a lot of other formatting problems have shown up. It is being worked on but don't have a projection right now how long it will take.

4. PWfanatik

PWfanatik Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 7, 2015
    One may also click the Forums button and go to their area of interest.

5. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    I used to display the main page and under each major heading everything was arranged in a couple of columns, now everything is just run together subforum after subforum. I assume part of the same problem?

David

6. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
  7. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    It's just the Summertime Blues.

[video=youtube;MeWC59FJqGc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeWC59FJqGc[/video]

8. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    A man after my own heart...few words indeed.

David

9. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
  10. bobby2003

bobby2003 Registered User

Nov 1, 2010
    While you are tweaking things, any chance of adding a way to hide forums or sub forums you have no interest in? Not sure if there is even a "VBulletin" way of doing that.

11. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    We are working on a new site that will address many problems and features that have been left hanging with vBulletin.We do not know yet how it happened, but apparently one of our vendors updated our system software without any warning and most of the features we have added on our own over the past 10 years are no longer working. Hopefully, they can roll us back to where we were on Tuesday.

It is possible that new material posted in the past two days could be lost during the recovery.

12. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    NO One knows what happened?

Who is responsible for the MB?

We have 2 paid people who SHOULD be responsible for any changes a vendor wants to make and they SHOULD be required to get an OK when they want to change something.

Just simple chain of command efficiency.

I guess it will be explained away, because no one is really at fault anymore ?

13. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    The main page formatting was all fixed a little while ago, and then sadly it is broken again.

Just as a follow up. I wish as soon as the administrators know that something is wrong with the MB and it would affect users, they would post something in the banner, so I would not spend 30 minutes messing with my system, rebooting, check settings etc. Please.

David

14. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Still broken....it had been working....now not!

15. John Hubby

John Hubby Principal Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Sep 7, 2000
    David, the banner software wasn't working either. However, I should have posted a message in the MB Notices forum. we know now what appears to have been the problem but for unknown reasons the "fix" isn't sticking. Hopefully will be resolved by tomorrow.

Jim, the responsible staff have been on this since it happened yesterday. No vendor changes were made by anybody as originally suspected but a security system error caused a key file to be deleted. Finding that and reviewing what exactly happened took more than 24 hours, trials to restore the file earlier today were only partially successful with failures still happening. Our staff and security contract staff are still working on it, I expect it will be resolved tomorrow.

16. David S

David S Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks John.

When things go wrong I automatically assume that it is something on my end, so I start fooling around, sometimes causing more issues.

Hope everyone gets it straightened out soon.

David

17. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Jan 15, 2004
    At least some of the issues noted in this thread seem to have occurred again. It has been reported, and the problem is being addressed. It is not known at this time when the problems will be resolved., but we hope it will be soon.

18. Markus Harris

Markus Harris NAWCC Communications Director
    NAWCC Member

Feb 2, 2009
    The external security vendor was cleaning up a minor malware incursion and accidentally broke the page formatting (again).

They are working to restore the formatting files. Again.

Should be fixed soon. Meanwhile, we've put in a special request to add the procedure to our user file as a permanent notice, to prevent this from happening again.