Marine: New Pickup- Waltham Gimbal

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by Barry Armstrong, Jan 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Barry Armstrong

Barry Armstrong Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Hi Just picked this up this week, Waltham Gymbal. Two questions. Is there someone in the Toronto area that someone could suggest I take it to for a cleaning? And it is missing the "wind" indicator dial and hand. How difficult will it be to find one?

Thanks in advance.

IMG_9073.jpg IMG_9074.jpg IMG_9076.jpg IMG_9078.jpg

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Tom McIntyre, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Your wind indicator looks fine to me. There are two forms of the device. The spot indicator on your pieces changes color when the mainspring gets down to about 1 day reserve. The dial form shows the hand and 8 day scale. Here is a slide showing both forms from the presentation "From War to Boudoir" at http://mcintyre.com/present/From War to Boudoir.pdf
    xyzzytom_130874

3. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    I've wound it once fully and didn't see any movement with the indicator:???:?

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a car clock version of that Waltham with the wind indicator. Seems to me there is a rotating disc behind the dial tha turns one way during winding, and the other way when running. It appears to me that the disc might be missing.

5. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doug is right. That is the way it works. It is possible the disk is lost or something has come loose and it is not indicating.

These are not particularly easy to service. The presentation I gave a pointer to shows the disassembly and reassembly of the 37 size movement. It costs me $200 to have one serviced.

6. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    If I felt comfortable with the technician, $200 is not unreasonable. If I could find someone in the Toronto area.

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Contact NAWCC chapter 33 for a recommendation of a Toronto area serviceman. They have a website with contact info.

8. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    Is it possible to convert the "wind" indicator from the current rotating disc to the "wind" gauge that is graduated with the days? Would it require replacing the dial? The hardware that rotates the disc, could it be modified to work with a days disc? Any hints would be appreciated.

This is just a fact finding quest. I'm not sure if I would want to make the conversion or not.

9. Tom McIntyre

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It would be much easier to find an original with the dial. The full dial is different so you would need to replace the dial and figure out how to asstach a hand where the rotating disk had been. Apart from being difficult, I think it would also be wrong from a collecting point of view.

10. Barry Armstrong

NAWCC Member

Feb 3, 2015
    I think all I will do is look for another one with the 'winder' dial with the numeric days on it and keep both.

11. River rat

River rat Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 4, 2009
    #11 River rat, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    If your still looking for a watchmaker in Canada I did a search of listed business in Canada from the NAWCC main site

http://net.nawcc.org/nawcc/businesssearch/
    Type in Canada a few will pop up
    hope that helps. Parts are scarce forget about a hour indicator finding the color disc will be much easer unless you buy one only good for parts if you can find one and salvage it's parts for the hour indicator parts and dial but then you will have more in it than it's worth. On my Waltham chronometer the main spring broke I live in Montana not many repair shops here the watchmaker in Bozeman had only one main spring left was lucky to get it back to working condition.