New Orange Logout Flag

Discussion in 'Forums Help & Notices' started by gmorse, Oct 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Has anyone tried the 'Logout' flag at top right? When I click this it takes me to the main NAWCC site but doesn't log me out. I know I can log out using the option in my Profile Page, but does this flag at the top serve any purpose?

Regards,

Graham

2. Bill Stuntz

Bill Stuntz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Bill Stuntz, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    That orange flag, along with the blue NAWCC Login flag are intended to log you into or out of all the NAWCC sites (including the MB) in 1 step. Are you SURE it didn't log you out of the MB? When I tried it and returned from the main NAWCC page to the MB, I had been logged out. That functionality is still being worked on, so I'm not sure it's actually working as intended. It didn't work at all last week, but seems to be at least somewhat functional now.

Personally, I never used those buttons to log in or out under vB (or here) because the login times out. I've always used the other Login button because I can select "Stay logged in" login button.png

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Bill,

Yes, I'm sure I was still logged in when I returned to the MB via the link on the main site top bar. The main site showed the blue 'Login' flag, which I didn't click. I do 'stay logged in' normally, I was just trying something I hadn't done before!

Regards,

Graham

4. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Bill Stuntz, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    Interesting.
    If I use the blue NAWCC Login button, the orange Logout button logs me out of the MB and the main site.
    If I login using the other login button, I'm still logged in on the MB after I use the orange button. Since I didn't use the blue button to log in, the orange button doesn't seem to know that I'm logged into the MB, so it doesn't log me out here. Looks like a bug to me.

But the NAWCC staff & consultants are in control of the blue/orange buttons. And they don't work weekends. I wish they wouldn't make changes on Fridays and then disappear!!!!!

5. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin and I were discussing this new feature this morning and I changed some of the text to try to make it more clear.

If you are not logged in on the Message Board and use the NAWCC Login to log in, then the NAWCC Logout will log you out of all NAWCC sites.

If you have logged in on the Message Board using the local login and have also logged in on other NAWCC sites, then the NAWCC Logout will log you out of all those other sites and bring you back to the Message Board still logged in. Since I stay logged in on the Message Board all the time, I find that behavior to be convenient.

We cannot really make it a single sign on and still accommodate our Registered Users who are not NAWCC members. This is as close to that as the consultants could come up with. I personally think they did a good job on something I was not able to do with about 3 years of effort on vBulletin.

6. Markus Harris

Markus Harris Registered User

Feb 2, 2009
    Male
    Lancaster, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The consultants made the changes over the weekend to script the log in behavior. I had no idea when they would do that. Over the weekend isn't very wise, I agree.

They did not have access to the correct "new" orange log out button.

I have (just now) manually gone into the php scripting here and have added the new orange log out button designed for the new website (it matches the new blue log in button).

If you aren't logged in to either site (nawcc.org or mb.nawcc.org) and log in using the blue NAWCC member log in button in either place, when you come to this message board you should be logged in. If you then click the orange button in either place, you should be logged out of both places.

UNLESS you have used the Log In button with the little key, on the message board, to log in, and have selected "keep me logged in." If so, the orange button logs out ONLY out of the main nawcc.org site, and NOT this message board.

7. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Markus, I had edited the previous button to add NAWCC to it since it does not log you out of the message board unless you logged in with the NAWCC. I also added some text to the Message Board login forum to make it more clear that it was just for the Message board.

It is certainly not a big deal, but I think it is a bit easier for the non NAWCC users of the site if the button does not look like a general logout for the site. That does, of course, make it different from the standard NAWCC SSO button. If it could be a png rather than jpg that would also be a slight benefit when we are working with transparency.

8. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info, Markus!
    Yeah, that's what I figured out by experiment when the function was questioned. And I almost always use the little key with "stay logged in" to log into the MB. I do occasionally use the NAWCC login button if I'm planning on using resources from the main site. But that's fairly unusual.

Bug report: Logging into ONLY the MB using the little key causes the NAWCC Login button to become orange - even though I'm NOT logged into the main NAWCC site. I can't use the blue login button on the MB because it isn't there anymore - it's turned into the orange logout button. But if I go to the main NAWCC site, its button is blue. They disagree with each other. The MB claims I'm logged into the main site, but the main site admits that I'm not.

My mis-statement in post#2 was was because I had logged out & used the NAWCC login button as a test, before I pressed the orange to test its logout function. So it DID log me out of both sites.

9. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm pretty confused with logging in/out and regarding the MB/main site!! :eek: I rarely visit the main site and mainly only to read the latest bulletin and mart highlights. That said, the orange box says "LOGGED IN" and if I hover my mouse over it, a box pops up that says "Log Out". As I understand things, that's not how you log out of the MB (you do that by clicking on your avatar in the upper right). Few are going to look for the avatar process and maybe try to use the orange box. Seems like the pop up box should say more than just "Log Out". Log out of where??

Kurt

10. Bill Stuntz

NAWCC Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Male
    PC Tech
    Columbus. OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yep, it's confusing, and I've tried to explain the confusion, too. They're working on it in the main office. I hope our comments will show them what needs to be fixed. We can't do anything about it here.