New one. Anyone have a clue about its origin?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Allan Fetherolf, Apr 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Allan Fetherolf

Allan Fetherolf Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Got this at an auction recently. Porcelain dial, beveled glass, brass overlay decoration. No ident anywhere. Just numbers on the back of the movement. I've never seen one like it.

DSC00416.JPG DSC00418.JPG

2. Adam K

Adam K Registered User

Oct 6, 2010
    Standard french movement. No makers mark, The A or sometimes has an A1 for quality, 4 4 is pendulum length . Love these simple quality movements.

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, definitely French. The movement should be taken apart and cleaned. Somebody (over)oiled it with some inappropriate oil.

Uhralt

4. Allan Fetherolf

NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2018
    I admit I gave the dispenser to hard a squeeze and got to much oil out, but it was not an "inappropriate" oil. It WAS a high quality clock oil. And the movement is running perfectly now.

5. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've read somewhere on here that the oil will run out of the oil sink and leave you with a dry pivot if you leave the oil on the plate like that. Not sure about the physics behind it.

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder what the white residue on the plate is, where the oil has run down. Looks like solid particles that shouldn't be present in a clock oil.

Uhralt

7. Isaac

Isaac Registered User

Aug 5, 2013
    Male
    Student
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Could just be the camera light hitting a few small drips of oil along the path the oil ran down. Hopefully that's all it is.

8. Allan Fetherolf

NAWCC Member

Oct 31, 2018
    Yes, thank you, that is what it was.