New member seeking some information..........

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by cubetop, Nov 30, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. NAWCC Login Function is Not Working. If you know your username and password for the Message Board, you can log in using the small login link at the upper right.
  1. cubetop

cubetop Registered User

Nov 28, 2016
    Greetings all!

I recently joined after purchasing my very first pocket watch. I have a very small collection of modern wrist watches but was always interested in pocket watches. I came here seeking knowledge and boy did I get it! (It was a very informative thread and I'm already learning.)

As I plan to delve deeper into this new hobby, I'd love some information or knowledge on a few things like;

Is there a good website that tracks values of pocket watches? I don't want to get "taken" or spend too much. Books are usually way off in values. I've done gunsmithing on the side for many years and the values in any of the blue books are usually WAY off true market value.

Is there a better site to find old pocket watches other than eBay? (I've looked on etsy some as well.)

Those are my two main questions. I'm already ordering some books to help me learn to identify specific movements and what they all mean. I've found a few online databases that have rundowns on the various grades and serial numbers. Any friendly help is appreciated. I'm truly excited about learning more and look forward to expanding my collection.

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator

Feb 11, 2005
    Probably the best way to track values of pocket watches is by searching eBay completed listings. Jones-Horan also allows you to search their past sales for selling prices. I agree that the books tend to not be very accurate.

3. cubetop

cubetop Registered User

Nov 28, 2016
    Thank you. My only concern is that eBay could be misleading as novices like myself could tend to overpay on something they know nothing about. I know I overpaid for my very first pocket watch and while I don't mind too much, I'd like to avoid doing so in the future. So far, when I find a watch that is interesting to me on eBay, I delve into websites seeking information on manufacture dates and movement quality. I was hoping that maybe there was another site, auction or not, that specializes more towards timekeeping pieces.

Regardless, this is all very interesting to me. Thank you for the reply.

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator

Feb 11, 2005
    Yes, take a look at Jones-Horan. As I said, they allow searching on old auctions.

5. MartyR

MartyR Super Moderator

Dec 16, 2008
    You could also look at Fellows of Birmingham England. They are a high volume auctioneer and they sell a lot of American watches. For English watches I would also suggest Gardiner Houlgate of Bath.

6. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator

Nov 4, 2002
    You could check out your closest NAWCC chapter, and perhaps attend one of their meetings to be able to get a hands on experience with watches for sale.

7. cubetop

cubetop Registered User

Nov 28, 2016
    All very good advice! Thank you very much for your time and responses.

8. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    All the major auction houses now post their prices realized on-line. Most have two major watch auctions each year in each geographic location where they operate. In particular, Sinners and Bonhams in the U.S. as well as the standard Christie's and Sotheby's.

There are lots of clock auctioneers who also deal in watches R. O Schmitt here in New England and many others who advertise on this web site.

9. cubetop

cubetop Registered User

Nov 28, 2016
    Thank you Tom for the information. I'm having a lot of fun looking up all this stuff. (and buying lots of watches)