New Member Illinois question

harperscampminer

Mar 4, 2011
Hello to all. I am a new member and have a question to ask. I searched as best I could (being new) for any information on Illinois watches with dual minute hands. I understand that dual hour hands are for 2 time zones but what about dual minute? I did come across some information from a previous post that asked if the dual minute hands were adjustable, mine are not. They appear to be mounted solidly exactly 15 minutes apart with the red hand leading the dark blue.
My watch is an Illinois 18 size circa 1894 serial number 1196495 lever set sidewinder.
I have searched the web with no luck so I am hoping one of you folks could lead me in the right direction.:confused:

Thanks in advance,

Ian

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
can you post an image of your minute hands?

this is a first for me....

and welcome to the site.

harperscampminer

Mar 4, 2011
Just an addition to my original post. As they say a picture is worth a thousand worth so here are a couple. Sorry about the pics but thats a phone camera.
As well can anyone give me anymore details about this watch from the serial number 1196495. All I can find is the approximate date of manufacture.

Thanks,

Ian 86030.jpg 86031.jpg

Bill Manders

Feb 21, 2008
Prince George
Country
Region
Welcome,
according to the Illinois Encyclopedia by the serial number it is:
18 size, L set, Hunter case, 11 jewel, Mdl 2 Grade 99, adjusted to temp and isonchronism, and about 10,500 made of this model.
Hope this helps, and hoefully I am reading this right,
Bill

harperscampminer

Mar 4, 2011
Everyone
thanks for the welcome and for looking at this post.
Bill
Great info!!!!! looks like the case is the same as well as it is a hunter case.
Any ideas where I can find the info on the model and grade?

Ian

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Ian:

You'll find a link to an 1887 catalog page that has a brief description of the grade No. 99, and where you can compare it to other Illinois 18-size movements, in the References section of the Illinois Watch Company Encyclopedia article.

If you tell us the markings stamped inside the back of the watch case (or post a picture of them), we may to be able to tell you something about it. You can ignore any "hand-scratched" characters, they're watch repairers' marks.

Good luck,

harperscampminer

Mar 4, 2011
Kent thanks for the reference.
As I can't get a good picture I'll try to describe the case markings.
Starting from left to right. One side has an arm and hammer then 1842 over the word COIN then what looks like a capitol D.
Under that in a slight curve are the numbers 74739.

Thanks Ian

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Wulll back to the subject at hand... :eek:

No, I have not seen a set of 'time zone' minute hands.... but your image certainly shows an interesting feature there....

anyone? I miss Bernie... he would have loved this.... ;)

I have no idea 'why' these would be this way.... anyone?

harperscampminer

Mar 4, 2011
Similar in that they are both arm and hammers but there are differences, different arm bend, longer hammer and no triangle as in the example.
Could that just be difference in the basic design?

Ian

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
Really grasping at the straws here, but perhaps to differentiate between "God's Time" and "RR Time"?

Of course, the difference between the two would vary according to longitude of the city in which the watch was used.

Like I said, it's a complete shot in the dark, but it's what I thought of when considering two different minute hands.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
My guess is that the duplicate minute hand is a one-off added by the owner. I don't even know, but is it possible to add a further hand to a standard pinion?

And if so, my suggestion is that it belonged to a railroad conductor, and when his train arrived at a station, where it would stop for 15 minutes, he could read off the time it was going to depart.

:)

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
harperscampminer;536958 said:
Similar in that they are both arm and hammers but there are differences, different arm bend, longer hammer and no triangle as in the example.
Could that just be difference in the basic design?

Ian
Not likely. It's a trade mark with which I'm unfamiliar - Sorry!

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
MartyR;536988 said:
And if so, my suggestion is that it belonged to a railroad conductor, and when his train arrived at a station, where it would stop for 15 minutes, he could read off the time it was going to depart.

:)
I've got serious doubts that a watch having this confusing hand arrangement would be permitted to enter or remain in railroad time service.

Bratdaddy@mac.com

Dec 1, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Country
The interval is about right for urban rail service. I'd wager that the hands were made to suit an individual, not as policy for any rail line. City rail service standards were more relaxed and familiar. Interstate rail systems would've relied on longer intervals to handle baggage, replenish consumables, etc. How refreshing to finally have a post that has everyone guessing! Thank You.

Brian C.

Jun 9, 2001
NH
Country
Bratdaddy, everybody guessing until my reply.;):}:) I think Marty was the closest. I believe the owner had the hands made up to time some machinery they were running. An opperation that took 15 minutes to complete.

harperscampminer

Mar 4, 2011
Hey guys some great theories there.
As no-one seems to know about dual minute hands the theory that it is a one off makes sense.
Sure would be nice to know for sure!
Anyway keep the theories coming so I have a good tale to tell about it when showing it off! Only 4 handed watch in existance?:D

Thanks all

Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deeqdacad
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff