New Member here Please Help

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by gary rice, Feb 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. gary rice

gary rice New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello and Thank You for allowing me to seek help here.
    I am not a Horologist but I have a few pieces...clocks and Pocket Watches.
    Although I have no money to speak of my Mom and her family
    were real gadabouts during the teens through the 1950's travelling
    all over the world. Mom even went to China before it was closed in the 40's I believe.
    Anyway I am pushing 70 and this clock has been in my family since before I was born.
    I also have a tall French Enameled pendulum clock with the hang tag where mom bought it in france
    in the 1940's for $500.00.
    As for this clock...Sure I would like information on it's value but more importantly I would like to find
    information on the clock base itself.
    Who made it ? Approximate age of the base?
    I am beginning to find that some makers were telling a story with their masterpieces. If I am correct then I would like to know this pieces story. Any help appreciated.
    The clock is 12 13/16" wide by 14 1/2" tall by 6 1/2 inches deep and weighs 16 1/2 pounds.
    The base has 3 Cherubs surrounded by beds of Roses on a rocky base and two birds(may or not be Doves)
    with what appears and what appears to be a horn.
    The Movement is by Imhof but I an certain it is not original to the clock. The Imhof movement does not use
    a pendulum. Mom kept the original pendulum with the windup key.
    I cleaned and oiled the movement and wound it a little while I was cleaning the case. It has kept time within a minute over the last 5 days so I am certain it is at least an 8 day movement.
    Again, if anyone can be of any help I would really like to find the history of this piece. Since I cleaned and polished the case I am finding that I may have gone overboard on the polishing thing...I can media blast it with walnut shells if I ruined the value by my cleaning.
    Again Thanks for allowing me to participate. ary

finished-1.jpg finished-2.jpg finished-3.jpg finished-4.jpg finished-5.jpg finished-6.jpg finished -7.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome to the board Gary.

May I just comment on some of the matters you mentioned:

1. First of all, we are not allowed to discuss values on this part of the board. You can scroll right down to the bottom of the main page and you will see a section called 'What's this clock worth?' and you can post your question there.

2. Your clock looks as if it may have been a French clock, and if there is no maker's or designer's name on the case, it may be impossible to know who was the maker.

3. You say the original movement has been replaced by an Imhof movement 'which does not use a pendulum'. I am therefore assuming it has a floating balance. Did you mother keep the old movement? The pendulum you show seems to be from an older movement, although it is not a typically French design.

4. You seem to have done a good job with the polishing, though some might say it looks rather too bright, but that may be a trick of the camera. As for diminishing the value by over-polishing, I shouldn't worry too much, the majority of any value the clock might have had was lost when a modern movement was put in. The hands are also not original and presumably came with the Imhof movement.

5. You mentioned that you had other clocks that you might wish to enquire about. We should all like to see and hear about what you have, but if so, please start a separate thread for each clock, as it can be very confusing to have several different clocks in one thread.

Others may have more information.

JTD

3. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kind of curious why one would replace the movement, rather than getting it repaired. Its a nice family heirloom.

4. gary rice

gary rice New Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Let me rephrase my original request:
    How do you describe this clock base so that I can try to research it online?
    OK I inferred thusfar that the clock is not worth anything because the movement is not original.
    ALTHOUGH in this forum it has been stated
    that IMHOF movements are the Rolls Royce of clock movements
    I am just trying to find it's origin and vintage and yes it's possible value.

5. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Gary,

Welcome to the board.

JTD has given you a very good analysis of your clock. The only thing I can add is if your movement has a floating balance, it was made after the mid-1950s, which was the time the floating balance was invented. Perhaps you can open the back of your clock and take a picture of the movement so we can see exactly what you have.

For the record, the Rolls Royce reference was made by Juergen (screen name: soaringjoy) and his statement was as follows:

"Arthur Imhof S.A. of La Chaux de Fonds, Switzerland, was
    founded ca. 1924 and was in business until 2001. They were
    specialized in small clocks and often called the Rolls Royce of
    table clocks."

imhof clock

Your clock can be descibed as a time only, table (or shelf) pendulum driven clock, presumably of French origin, with a cherub, figural case whose maker is unknown (as are most French cases), with replacement hands and a replacement floating balance movement made no earlier than the mid-1950s.

I know you would like more precise information, but this not always possible. Based on the information and pictures you have provided us, this, IMO, is the best description we can give you. Others may have more information.

IMO, your clock's value lies with its decorative appeal, rather than its clock value, for the reasons JTD provided.

Regards.

6. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    #6 JTD, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Apart from saying it's (probably) a French figural clock, in the absence of any name or marks it is almost impossible to say much more. Clock cases of this type were made in their hundreds by all sorts of firms, sometimes the designers were well known and signed the work and sometimes they didn't. In your case it seems they didn't.

I am not sure who considers Imhof movements to be 'the Rolls Royce of movements' but in any case, since you have not shown us the movement, it is impossible to say much about it. (I have just now read new2clocks post, which he sent while I was typing, so I know now where the reference came from. Not sure I would agree with it, but everyone can have an opinion). And Imhof were in business for quite a long time. There is a marked difference in quality between their earlier movements and the later ones. We really need to see yours.

As for 'origin and vintage', it is probably French and probably from about 1880, with a modern movement.

As to the value, we are not allowed to discuss values here, but you can go to the 'What is this clock worth' section which you will find if you scroll right down to the bottom of the main page.

JTD

7. Chris Radano

Chris Radano Registered User

Feb 18, 2004
    Male
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Chris Radano, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Difficult to tell exact age of the case. I would say 3rd quarter of 19th century.
    I would suggest tracking similar French clocks on auction websites such as liveauctioneers, invaluable, bidsquare, etc. There are thousands of French figural clocks, but hardly any with Imhof movements. It will take years of compiling auction results of similar clocks for you to get an idea, and even then you may not know how much it will fetch at an auction. I know, because I've watched clocks on auction websites for almost 20 years now.
    Many French clocks have held their value since your parent's 1940s purchase, but perhaps not increased greatly.
    I'm sure it's worth more than the fiver in your pic!
    As Kevin says, a great clock to keep in the family for your descendants to enjoy.

8. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You could also consider to "retrofit" the clock by putting a period, antique, round French movement in it. You would need to make sure that the diameter of the bezel fits the opening in the case and that the pendulum length fits the space the case provides. French movements often show up on ebay. But probably the sentimental value of the clock as it is will prevent you from doing this.

Uhralt

9. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Male
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have several old french movements for figural clocks in my bone yard as do many others I am sure. Most of mine are in good enough shape that a full service will render a fine movement with many years of service. I ended up with these when I took over the inventory of a shop that closed up and have not really worked on them yet, but if you can get some good specs and pictures as Uhralt suggests perhaps we can find a movement that is closer to the original that what is in there now. One issue with a lof of these figural clocks is how the movement is mounted. So take some good, well lit, pictures of the movement in place where we can see the mountings. You stil won't have an original clock setup, but it will be a lot closer than what you have now.