• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

New member, Help me ID this French Carriage Clock?

Mechanical937

New User
Nov 28, 2021
Country
I have this French carriage clock. It seems like to be marked with the year? "1904" but not sure.

Front face says "Regally a Paris"? or "Regabby a Paris"?

Backside has 4 holes for a tool, marked

Reveil= 'awakening' (alarm)

Aiguilles= Clock hands

Aig' du Reveil= Setting of the Alarm

"No. 4003"
Seems to have sweep / sweeping seconds, alarm, and hour repeater. IMG_4892.jpeg IMG_4893.jpeg IMG_4894.jpeg IMG_4896.jpeg IMG_4908.jpeg

Can anyone help me identify it and guess at the value? It runs, but I have no key

Thanks!

Reactions: jmclaugh

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
You have a French carriage clock from around the mid 1800s (say 1860 plus or minus based on the style). An unusual feature is the inclusion of a seconds dial, indicating that the movement is of good quality - so it is odd that the balance is uncompensated, but that sometimes was the case. The clock also features time, strike (with repeat button on the top of the case) and alarm.

Can you open the back door and show pictures of the movement back plate - especially if there are any makers marks there? Can you move the hands around a little (put key in slot marked Aiguilles (hands) and turn in the direction of the arrow on the back of the case) to show the name on the dial more clearly, then take a photo and post it here.

The case looks to have retained most of its gilding, so please don't polish with abrasive metal polish if you are looking to sell it, but you could clean it up a little with soap and water on a paper towel, or something like a lens cleaning wipe for spectacles.

The addition of the seconds feature will add value to the clock, and if the movement can be identified to a maker (I'm not sure that will be the case here) that might add a little interest as well - but once we can see the movement we'll know a bit more.

One other thing to check is to look between the plates at the bottom, and see if there are any letters or makers marks there - usually on the back of the front plate if they are there.

Mechanical937

New User
Nov 28, 2021
Country
You have a French carriage clock from around the mid 1800s (say 1860 plus or minus based on the style). An unusual feature is the inclusion of a seconds dial, indicating that the movement is of good quality - so it is odd that the balance is uncompensated, but that sometimes was the case. The clock also features time, strike (with repeat button on the top of the case) and alarm.

Can you open the back door and show pictures of the movement back plate - especially if there are any makers marks there? Can you move the hands around a little (put key in slot marked Aiguilles (hands) and turn in the direction of the arrow on the back of the case) to show the name on the dial more clearly, then take a photo and post it here.

The case looks to have retained most of its gilding, so please don't polish with abrasive metal polish if you are looking to sell it, but you could clean it up a little with soap and water on a paper towel, or something like a lens cleaning wipe for spectacles.

The addition of the seconds feature will add value to the clock, and if the movement can be identified to a maker (I'm not sure that will be the case here) that might add a little interest as well - but once we can see the movement we'll know a bit more.

One other thing to check is to look between the plates at the bottom, and see if there are any letters or makers marks there - usually on the back of the front plate if they are there.
Thank you very much Zedric, for taking the time to give a thorough reply. This is very helpful information.

I took a photo of the back with the door open (my family never knew this was even a door). I looked over the whole clock and I could not find any maker mark or any label or text of any kind except the following:
  • "4003" stamped on the underside cover plate, and "No. 4003" on the plate behind the door
  • "Dec X8, 1903 and some initials (possibly a service date) scratched in the underside cover
  • "3933" is stamped in between some of the structural plates.
  • The door carvings labeling the winding shaft functions on the back door plate
The dial has the wording "REGALLY A PARIS"? Aside from that I cannot find any markings or labeling.

New pics below, let me know what you think
Thanks!

IMG_4909.jpeg
IMG_4911.jpeg IMG_4913.jpeg IMG_4912.jpeg IMG_4897.jpeg

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Thanks for the pictures,
3933 would have been the number assigned to the movement by the maker of the movement. 4003 was probably the number added by the finisher of the movement. Neither are of much help. The 1903 date would be from a service or repair done at that time.

The one last place to look for a mark would be underneath the bell, if you can unscrew it, but I doubt there is anything there - like many of these movements it is probably anonymous. Regally would have been the retailer, as he is a known retailer of clocks in France in the 19th century but as not many clocks have his name, he might have been a general jeweller or some such who sold a line in clocks.

Looking at the escapement, something has happened at some time, as the screws used do not match - either a clumsy service man or maybe the escapement was replaced at some time, which could explain the use of a plain balance on what should be a high quality clock.

Assuming all is running well i think it might fetch in the high hundreds of dollars in its current state at auction, or possibly as much as $1000 on a good day because clocks with seconds hands are unusual.

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Here is another similar Regally. My case number (3662) and movement number match. The back door has the name also engraved. At one time, I attributed the clock to Bolviller, but the jury is out.

IMG_20211203_102536802_(1600_x_1200).jpg IMG_20211203_102546571_(1600_x_1200).jpg IMG_20211203_102556180_(1600_x_1200).jpg IMG_20211203_102609734_HDR_(1600_x_1200).jpg IMG_20211203_102700872_HDR_(1600_x_1200).jpg IMG_20211203_102743979_(1600_x_1200).jpg

Ralph

Christopher Lloyd Owen

NAWCC Member
Aug 27, 2020
United Kingdom
Country
A very nice clock, and Zedric has (as usual!) summed it up neatly, and with Ralph's clock you have a lot of information. Unusual is the top glass too - normally either rectangular or oval, but rectangular with big rounded corners is not often seen. I can't quite see properly, but it looks as though Ralph's clock might have similar. Perhaps a slightly ordinary case for what is clearly a top quality clock - treat it carefully, and get a key, even a cheapie, just to see it going!

Leigh Extence

May 27, 2012
Exeter, UK
www.extence.co.uk
Country
Region
I have a very similar clock by Raingo freres that I bought as it was made for them by the blanc-roulant maker Holingue Freres, who I am researching at present. Indeed, the whole clock was probably made by them.
I would suggest that yours is likely to be from the same workshop and may well have H.L. stamped to the front of the frontplate of the movement, (behind the dial), low down to the centre. The clock serial number, 4003, and movement number, 3933, are in the correct sequence for H.L.
A third near-identical example I have seen recently was also an H.L. (Holingue) and was retailed by Bourdin of Rue de la Paix in Paris.
Ralph's clock may also be an H.L.

Leigh

Last edited:

Leigh Extence

May 27, 2012
Exeter, UK
www.extence.co.uk
Country
Region
My Holingue freres clock retailed by Raingo Freres. It is sitting in front of me ready to go off to be restored. The broken minute hand was found within the movement.
The dial was made by Aime Petremand, who made for a number of early carriage clock makers.
The platform escapement on mine has a compensated balance as compared to the plain brass balance on the two previous examples, but I have seen both used on H.L. clocks of this period.
Note the use of the elaborate engraved cartouche on the rear door to take the name. This is also typical of Bourdin clocks (who I am also researching at present!)

Raingo Red.jpg a.jpg b.jpg IMG_0004 red.jpg IMG_0040 red.jpg IMG_0069 edit.jpg IMG_0034 red.jpg IMG_0020 red.jpg IMG_0023 red.jpg IMG_0022 red.jpg c.jpg IMG_5894 red.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jmclaugh

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Leigh, if you notice, my clock also has the engraved cartouche on the back door. My faulty memory associated Bolviller with this clock, but I meant Bourdin. I looked at the front plate while assembled and was able to detect the "HL" letters.

Regards, Ralph

Leigh Extence

May 27, 2012
Exeter, UK
www.extence.co.uk
Country
Region
Thanks Ralph

I shall add yours to my Holingue database. Did you notice if there is a further serial number between the plates?
And by coincidence Bolviller was another who used Holingue Freres movements.
The cartouche is very much a Bourdin feature, and I was quite surprised when I found it on the rear doors of other clocks. But then realised that they were all clocks made in the Holingue workshops and so maybe it was they who arranged the engraving for the client?

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
You get the same engraving in a cartouche for Le Roy as well… So I think your theory about Hollingue doing is engraving stands up..

Last edited:

Christopher Lloyd Owen

NAWCC Member
Aug 27, 2020
United Kingdom
Country
Can you pop over to St Nicolas, Leigh, and identify who was the best graveur in town?! These little cartouches are very beautiful, and feel to me to be by another hand than the rest of the back plate ...

Leigh Extence

May 27, 2012
Exeter, UK
www.extence.co.uk
Country
Region
And I do have a possible name for an engraver, but haven't been able to confirm as yet what work he did on the cases. I'll delve a little further at some point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhosem
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller