• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

New Mantle Clock Acquisition: C. Rosenfelder Co. 2020_12_25

Neadfiles

Dec 25, 2020
Country
Hello all,

My wife scored a nice holiday gift for me in the form of a C. Rosenfelder Co. mantle clock. Alas, I am a newcomer here and will naturally have a couple of questions to get this up and ticking. I am attaching pictures to give the experts a baseline of where I am to date. Apart from a good external cleaning, my first objective is to reattach the pendulum weight. Any help here would be appreciated. I'm very new to this so my part terminology is infantile! Please have a look at the attached photos. If there is something else I need to photograph let me know! Glad to have found this community. -Sam

20201226_145114.jpg 20201226_145145.jpg 20201226_145152.jpg 20201226_145333.jpg 20201226_145405.jpg 20201226_145417.jpg 20201226_145531.jpg 20201226_145607.jpg 20201226_150412.jpg 20201226_150446.jpg 20201226_150459.jpg

Neadfiles

Dec 25, 2020
Country
Thanks for the welcome, Royce. That certainly looks like my clock. I appreciate your time in locating the page and sending me a link to the catalog! It's great to have a year associated with it. Best, Sam

Neadfiles

Dec 25, 2020
Country
Hello all,

My wife scored a nice holiday gift for me in the form of a C. Rosenfelder Co. mantle clock. Alas, I am a newcomer here and will naturally have a couple of questions to get this up and ticking. I am attaching pictures to give the experts a baseline of where I am to date. Apart from a good external cleaning, my first objective is to reattach the pendulum weight. Any help here would be appreciated. I'm very new to this so my part terminology is infantile! Please have a look at the attached photos. If there is something else I need to photograph let me know! Glad to have found this community. -Sam

View attachment 629134 View attachment 629135 View attachment 629136 View attachment 629137 View attachment 629138 View attachment 629139 View attachment 629140 View attachment 629141 View attachment 629142 View attachment 629143 View attachment 629144
Well, I finally figured out how to attach the pendulum (with the help of my teenage son). There was a small pin that was missing at the top that allowed the pendulum 'stem' or 'post' to hook onto. I fashioned a pin from a paper clip and to our chagrin, it is now ticking away (and chiming)! My next question to the group is: How many hours on average before one needs to wind up a mantle clock like this? I am only getting about 4 hours currently.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
How many hours on average before one needs to wind up a mantle clock like this? I am only getting about 4 hours currently.

Fully wound, it should run for a week. Can you please post a photo of how you have the pendulum attached?

JTD

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Thanks for the photos.

1) The pillar from which the suspension spring hangs is twisted. The slot with the suspension spring in it should be perpendicular (vertical), so that the spring hangs straight down.

2) The suspension spring itself is broken. There should be two parallel strips from the top of the block to the lower block. The lower block has a pin (which is missing and you have used a paper clip).

You need to straighten the cock (the post which has the slot for the spring) and replace the spring. This suspension spring is easily available and costs very little, you can get it from the material supply houses such as Timesavers. However, if you remove the remains of the spring and take it to local clockmaker he will probably be able to let you have replacement.

Unless you do this, the clock will never run properly.

JTD

Reactions: Neadfiles

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
I meant to add that you should be able to re-position the cock by twisting it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. It should be just a friction fit - you don't need to unscrew anything. Use a piece of cloth in the jaws so that you don't mar the cock.

JTD

Neadfiles

Dec 25, 2020
Country
Thanks for the photos.

1) The pillar from which the suspension spring hangs is twisted. The slot with the suspension spring in it should be perpendicular (vertical), so that the spring hangs straight down.

2) The suspension spring itself is broken. There should be two parallel strips from the top of the block to the lower block. The lower block has a pin (which is missing and you have used a paper clip).

You need to straighten the cock (the post which has the slot for the spring) and replace the spring. This suspension spring is easily available and costs very little, you can get it from the material supply houses such as Timesavers. However, if you remove the remains of the spring and take it to local clockmaker he will probably be able to let you have replacement.

Unless you do this, the clock will never run properly.

JTD
Thanks so much for your input JTD - this mantle clock needs a bit of TLC for sure. Along with learning clock terminology, I'm looking for a reputable clock repair business in the greater Ann Arbor, MI area. If anyone reading this has a contact they would like to pass along, I'm all ears!

Neadfiles

Dec 25, 2020
Country
I meant to add that you should be able to re-position the cock by twisting it with a pair of needle-nosed pliers. It should be just a friction fit - you don't need to unscrew anything. Use a piece of cloth in the jaws so that you don't mar the cock.

JTD
Just completed that!

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Just completed that!
Well done!

Now replace the suspension spring and see how it runs. But you are wise to have the clock cleaned and overhauled before running it for too long as it will very likely be quite dirty. Old oil and dust makes fine grinding paste!

JTD

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Swann jr
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.