New Lathe Emco Maximat Super 11

Discussion in 'Horological Tools' started by Jim DuBois, Jul 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yesterday I picked up a nice lathe, an Emco Maximat Super 11. It is perhaps 40 or more years old. That said, it has been used little to not at all. Most of it's extensive accessories are new in the box. 2 4 jaw chucks, a 3 jaw, a 5C collet adapter, a small set of Emco 5C collets new, a dividing head, new, a milling plate new to be used with the milling head on the lathe. A full set (33) of Burgeon wheel cutters, also apparently new in the box. A small set of involute .5MM wheel and pinion cutters, new. A set of change gears to fully suppliment the quick change gear box. A set of ER collets for the milling attachment. A steady rest and follower for turning small diameter pieces. It was not cheap but between the accessories, the condition, and the overall accuracy, it seemed like something I needed. And I now have a 13" lathe to clean up and sell.

20190717_131919 (2).jpg 20190717_132119 (2).jpg 20190717_132145 (2).jpg 20190717_132128 (2).jpg 20190717_141840 (2).jpg 20190717_132102 (3).jpg 20190717_132328.jpg 20190717_132107 (2).jpg 20190717_132001 (2).jpg 20190717_132036 (2).jpg 20190717_132115.jpg

Old Rivers and brian fisher like this.
  2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    sigh... except for the texas part i soooo wish i lived next door to you. congrats.

3. John MacArthur

John MacArthur Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Very nice Jim -- I missed one like that by a hair a couple of years ago. They are excellent machines.
    Johnny

4. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

i can proudly say that i have had the good fortune to reap some of these benifits.

very nice lathe jim. 5c collets would apparently indicate that this is a pretty good sized lathe. will you move on from your mill as well since this is a dual purpose machine?

it looks like it was set up with gear cutting in mind?

5. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:

Jim
    While I have never owned one of these Lathes, I have worked on a couple over the years. Providing it is within the envelope required, it is a superb, capable and versatile machine you will never regret purchasing regardless of the price.
    Working on one of these machines is what prompted me to purchase a Emco Maier V13 Lathe and a compatible F-3 floor milling machine for my larger machines.

good Luck
    Jerry Kieffer

6. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brian, yes it is a good-sized lathe. !!" capacity. It will replace the larger 13"x48" I have been using for a long time. I don't really need the larger capacity since I am no longer messing with cars. Regards geat cutting, yes, it was intended by its original purchaser to be used as such. I will continue to cut gears and pinions using my CNC Tormach 1100. I can't imagine doing that work manually after 30 years of using CNC for such.

As to the milling capacity of this setup, I generally have previously avoided such machines. No matter if, it is currently set up as a lathe or a mill, the next process/step in the work being done, will require the other set up. All of which costs time. So, I suspect the milling feature will be little used by me. But, I do have an upcoming major project that I will use the mill to complete some steps I think.

7. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jerry,
    Thanks for your thoughts on this lathe. I was drawn to it for its accuracy, smoothness, ease of lathe operations, and of course its condition/accessories. It is nice to have your "blessing" of its capabilities. Now, all I need to do is live up to those capabilities? While I like the milling features I don't envision using it much as a mill. As I mentioned to Brian, the switch back and forth seems too involved to implement often. Plus, I have 3 other mills in the shop, so......

8. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    Jim
    Thank you for the kind words.

However, ones individual development of capabilities has far less to do with us as individuals and far more to do with capable equipment selections. As mentioned, you did very well in this case.

Jerry Kieffer

9. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Doctor
    Linköping, Sweden
    Country Flag:
    Beautiful lathe and good find!

Are you familiar with Stefan Gotteswinter? He has a youtube channel by the same name. He recently purchased the same machine and he has a few videos about it, and modifications he has made to it.

Regards
    Karl

10. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Karl,

Thanks for the link. I have already spent some time there this AM and have learned a few things I did not know about the lathe. I suspect I will be spending even more time there, very soon. Excellent suggestion! With folks like this, and people like Clickspring, youtube is helping considerably. Reading about this or that is not quite like watching it in action.