New lathe addition to the shop

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
I am just bringing this into the shop and I’m excited to get it set up. I had to convert it from 550 volts 3ph to 220 volts 1 ph. It’s a Hardinge HLV accurate to .00005TIR. That’s not a typo Hardinge claims it will work to 5 millionths of an inch. This one is not new so it probably is outside those tolerances but will be way overkill for clock work. I don’t have the capability to measure that anyway.
My first job is a minute tube for a weight driven regulator.
It is set up for 5C collets and I am grinding and adapter so I can use 3C collets also. I have a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck as well.
Regards,
Jeff 73919.jpg

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
Awesome, how were you able to come across it?
I have been looking for quite a long time but so far most everything is outside my budget.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Wow Jeff, never in my wildest dreams could i get a lathe like that.Very nice i am envious.You cant go wrong with a Hardinge, sweet:):):):):):)

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
Pete,

Looks like I made a typo after all by leaving out that zero, it is 50 not 5. Proof read it too and didn’t see it.

bkerr,

There out there but yes they’re pricy.

Thanks Kevin,

Did you get a chance to make that ground master plug for yours?

regards,

Jeff

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Jeff, lately the shop has been super hectic.No time for doing my jobs on the grinder.i am going to buy a replacement 3 jaw chuck this fallfor the Taig.
You are a serious home machinist.:):):):)

StephanG

Jun 24, 2007
Australia
Country
Don't think of it as money spent in the workshop.
Think of it as a lump sum contribution to your superannuation.
I continue to believe that you can not loose money on well selected, good quality tools. Plus it will give you many hours of pleasure using it.
Well Done.

itspcb

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2006
UK
Country
Region
Jeff
I have a -H lathe and enjoy it greatly.
You may find that there is a problem working on small pieces , as you tend to run out of travel for the cross slide or tailstock, because the cross slide is very wide. In the first photo the slide has no room to move and the tailstock is fully extended. I use ER11 colletts and in the second photo there is more room for the cross slide to travel left and the tailstock is not so extended.
You will soon develop your own ideas to overcome any issues I'm sure.
Wait till you get to cut some threads, a joy! I cut both metric and imperial and its just great. I recently made two draw bars for a Lorch and the fit was superb, one 25mm and the other 1" (I think).
Parts are expensive, especially collets and gear wheels, did your machine come with gear wheels and collets? There is plenty of documentation about.

Enjoy,

Peter 74061.jpg 74062.jpg

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
Stephan,

I’m not too worried about my retirement but I do like using good equipment. It always makes the job so much more pleasant when you get to use a piece like this one.

Peter,

In 1985 I equipped a small "high tech" tool room to provide in house fabrication and repair of injection molding tooling for a small firm here in R.I. Among the tools I purchased was a brand new HLV-H-EM. I spent many an hour after work utilizing it for "government jobs." A lot of the pieces I have made were small and while it sometimes requires a little ingenuity it’s such a joy to work on one of these it makes up for any inconvenience 100X over. I miss having that equipment available to me so I finally bought this lath which is replacing the 9” Southbend that has served me so well. It’s an expediential step up. I do have a set of Hardinge 5c collets for it from 1/16 to 1-1/16 plus a nice quality Buck 6” adjustable 3 jaw chuck and a Buck 6” 4 jaw chuck. I do not have the extra change gears for it. I will deal with that when the need or opportunity arises. Yes, parts are expensive but that’s the price you pay for accuracy/quality.

I hadn’t thought of using ER11 collets. That’s a great idea, Thanks!

Regards,

Jeff

itspcb

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2006
UK
Country
Region
Jeff
Great, you are obviously off to enjoy a great reunion!

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cicastol
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre