• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

New Japy Figural

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
Greetings all,

It's been a while since I have posted and my clock procurement has been slow of late, but it's nice to see familiar names are still here posting.

I have recently purchased this Japy Freres figural clock. I'll probably take more pictures as I restore it to running condition. It is missing the pendulum rod top hook block that connects it to the suspension spring and I am hoping that is all it needs other than a cleaning/oiling. Otherwise the condition looks good. It is missing the sword (which unfortunately was showing the Craigslist posting, but somehow got separated before I picked it up), and has a few minor chips in the marble insets, which are hard to notice.

If anyone knows the name of the model or significance of the figure and likely date/timeframe, that would be nice to know.

Tom
20211107_155321.jpg 20211107_093826.jpg

Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Perhaps it's Joan of Arc, as to date these clocks were made in large numbers towards the latter half of the 19th C. The award stamped on your movement was won on a number of occasions by Japy so dating based on that is not straightforward.

gleber

Jun 15, 2015
Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
www.myclocks.site
Country
Region
Perhaps it's Joan of Arc, as to date these clocks were made in large numbers towards the latter half of the 19th C. The award stamped on your movement was won on a number of occasions by Japy so dating based on that is not straightforward.
Joan of Arc seems like a good candidate. The structure in the background does seem to have a cathedral look to it. A google image search for Joan of Arc clock returns many similar motifs with swords and flags, although in many of them she is depicted in a suit of armor. I'll assume this is a correct analysis unless a more definitive answer is uncovered.

Thanks,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller