New Idea for a Watch Movement Dust Cover

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
I thought this would be the place on the tools forum to show another tool we could use on our benches and shelves. I ordered these dust covers from S. LaRose about 16 years ago when I was getting started in clock and watch repair. They were handy, but a real pain to pick up and move over to a shelf or somewhere out of the way.

Olddustcover.jpg

I've tried putting a rubber band over them so I could pick the lid and base up together, but when an aged rubber band decided to break and scatter the contents on the floor, I thought there had to be a better way. I've also tried tape.

cheesecover.jpg

While browsing in a thrift store, I found these and if I remember right, they were plates to put cheese on or some food item, and I thought they would make great dust covers for watch movements. The first two I got were just the glass without the base, and so I used them on the bench to cover up parts on my bench mat while I did something else. I've now collected 4 of these with the wooden base. One of them has a larger wooden tray, which is nice for putting some parts temporarily as I'm disassembling.

I thought about routing out some places to divide the parts as in the old plastic trays, but I haven't gotten that far yet. But I did decide to place the old plastic base inside for now, until I can get that done. Here's a pic with the plastic base on the wooden base:

cheesecover3.jpg

It just sits in there. Next pic is with the cover over it:

cheesecover4.jpg

Yes, these are much bigger, heavier, but I think they look classy, a bit of elegance sitting on the bench or on the shelf. They do take up more room, but an accidental bump is not going to dislodge a light plastic cover and base and scatter parts everywhere. These are much more easier to pick up, since the wooden base sits on some rubber feet. I can grasp the dome and base together and move them a lot easier, unlike the angled sides of the plastic base which is harder to grasp. Just an idea!:)..........................gary

Last edited:

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
I have a couple of these on my bench. I had a glass cake cover about 11" around that was perfect for smaller clocks like French ones.

Reactions: doc_fields

doc_fields

Sep 29, 2004
Greentop, MO
precisionclockandwatch.blogspot.com
Country
Region
You must have read my mind. Even though I didn't mention it, I,too have a large thick glass cake cover for the clock bench. Heavy, yes, but it doesn't go anywhere if I bump it! Thanks for sharing!..............................gary

Reactions: D.th.munroe

Brunod

Jun 8, 2021
Belgium, french speaking part
Country
As Belgian, I use a special beer glas 10 cm large.
I only play with watches. I got the idea from G. Daniels who used one with a broken foot in his book.

Reactions: karlmansson

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi,

I use these small fishing tackle boxes about 5" long, with ten compartments.

DSCF5480.JPG

The lids lock shut and keep everything in its own compartment.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samways
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller