New house, lots of decorating to do, so...

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ScotSun, Jul 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So I have been away for awhile... spent the last 8 months planning, organizing and moving from South Florida to Newark, Delaware... My wife tells me that I have a ton of work to do on the new house... So, of course, I go and buy a "project" clock... and not any old project. This one may take me a while.

upload_2019-7-11_10-1-18.png

...the case is a mess. Probably needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. But all the bits appear to be there and the movement, dirty as it is, started to tick when transporting it. I have not yet taken the movement off its structure to look for identifiers so if anyone knows what this is, the info would be appreciated. The face appears to have an etched in turkey or pheasant on a branch... The previous owner said it was a Freddrick Mauthe movement. Didn't say why.

That case, by the way, is HUGE... almost 7.5 feet tall when stood up. But it has been modified severely, I assume to keep it upright and I think has spent quite a while under the tarp in the garage where I got it.

but, all in all, for $50 this will keep me engaged for quite a while.

20190711_080801.jpg 20190711_080748.jpg 20190711_080644.jpg 20190711_080635.jpg 20190711_080620.jpg 20190711_080609.jpg

2. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So it appears that it is indeed a "mauthe"... These are the only marks I can see on the movement... does anyone know where I can find when this serial number was made?

upload_2019-7-11_12-24-3.png

upload_2019-7-11_12-24-37.png

3. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The Mauthe Germany in an oval trademark was thought to be post-WWII, but recent examples of this TM have shown up in clocks that otherwise would be considered to be from the 1920's and 1930's. By the looks of your clock, I would estimate it to be from the 1920's to 1930's period, so perhaps we can add your clock to this list.

Unfortunately, there are no reliable data bases for Mauthe serial numbers, but some of our colleagues in Russia and Eastern Europe have been compiling this data, so perhaps we will have such database one day.

Regards.

4. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Scot, you also posted your request in the "Post your Mauthe Clocks" thread, so we now have two posts of the same issue in different threads. This can be confusing.

Perhaps a moderator could move this thread to the Post Your Mauthe thread.

Regards.

5. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This post has some dating information based upon the logo:

Post your MAUTHE clocks here

From that, I'd think you're clock is from the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Kurt

6. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kurt,

That chart is what I referred to when I stated that the mark was thought to be post-WWII. Since that chart was created (originally ten years ago or so) evidence has surfaced that the mark may have been used in the 1920's and 1930's.

Unfortunately, the registration of the TM has not been confirmed, to the best of my knowledge.

Regards.

7. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was not aware of further research on that. Sure would be nice if someone could rework that for future reference.

Kurt

8. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can not speak for our colleagues who are performing the research, but perhaps they are waiting for some more examples before they change the chart.

Also, to clarify the issue, AFAIK, only the oval TM with Mauthe Germany falls into this scenario. Two other "oval" TMs exist - F. Mauthe Germany and FR Mauthe Germany - and have not yet been identified to exist prior to the post WWII period.

Finally, the chart you referenced was subsequently updated to include FR Mauthe Germany, as described above.

The history of horology - especially German and Austrian and, to a lesser extent, French - continues to evolve.

Regards.

9. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you very much. I wonder if it was "married" to the case I got it with... the thing is a monster size. But looks pretty old if you look past the poor repairs...

I really like simple design of the pediment and clock face surround. Not sure if anyone can ballpark the case age from the design of that...

upload_2019-7-11_15-9-54.png

...or from the face itself...

upload_2019-7-11_15-10-45.png

10. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The face has a look of the early part of the 19th century, up to the late 1920's.

Regards.

11. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks... I thought it looked a little art-deco-ish...

So if the movement is original to the clock, that would bear out that research you indicated about the Mauthe oval mark maybe being associated with earlier clocks.

The movement mounting board appears to be original with the movement as there are no "extra" holes or marks where a different movement may have been...but I suppose that could have been kept from where ever the movement came from if it was used to update an old case...

upload_2019-7-11_17-37-4.png

12. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Actually, I was thinking more art nouveau, which preceded the art deco period.:) There is always a change-over period when tastes and styles change, so there was still art nouveau during what is generally considered the art deco period.

I see that your gong is an Echo gong, which was a trademark of Mauthe.

There are some Mauthe catalogs in the hands of some of our contributors, so the possibility exists that they may be able identify your cabinet. One such person is Tatyana, who is part of the group involved in Mauthe trademark research.

Regards.

13. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Perhaps that '19th' is a typo - did you mean 20th century?

JTD

14. new2clocks

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I meant the early 20th century.:oops:

Thanks for spotting that!

Regards.

15. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    20190714_142926.jpg

NOTE: I am 6ft 0in tall to give you scale...

16. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's not big, it's massive!. I have two 8 feet tall case clocks, so when you said 7-1/2, I didn't too much, but that thing is wide. You could sleep standing up in there. How wide is it?

Is the dial supposed to curved, or is it warped?

I'm only an hour from Newark if you help moving that beast.

Tom

17. ScotSun

ScotSun Registered User

Nov 28, 2017
    Male
    Computers
    Newark, DE
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The body is about 22in wide, the head about 25in and the base about 28in.

The base and head are about 18in deep and the body 15.

I am not sure about the face. The bending on each corner seems uniform so I don't think it's warped. There is a smaller backing plate attached that is straight.