Solved New haven with bearings

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by turboflyer, Mar 26, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. turboflyer

turboflyer Registered User

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    Retired, retired, and just tired
    Country Flag:
    Needed to tear this down anyway. Not a collectors clock or worth much but thought I would give the Butterworth’s bearings a trial run. So now the barrel arbor back plate end and arbor cap have bearings. I did a std barrel bushing back plate end. A few other bushings We’re done and tomorrow it all goes back together.

47E4CF29-CC27-4C39-BCBD-96E757F56607.jpeg C32C2118-C63B-41BB-81F6-8593D5FE3A29.jpeg

Kevin W. likes this.
  2. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice, i have yet to try this. I have a Hermle movement i wish to do this on some day.

3. turboflyer

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I plan on completely converting a circa 1990 Sligh that we got each other for our 20th anniversary in 1990. Nothing to fancy movement 8691, but want it for the kids to run forever.

Kevin W. likes this.
  4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Just a question, have you considered what will happen when that big bearing comes out?

Oh, and it's not a good idea to use the "F" word when referting to a machine ... No machine last but so long, always way short of "forever". :)

Willie X

5. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    When, not if, was probably a good choice of words. That is a very thin plate and a very large hole.

RC

6. turboflyer

Feb 17, 2016
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Absolute, I will be able to find out almost immediately what went wrong. Should save some time. :(. Mark seems think it will work. Guess that’s why I am not trying it out on the 5 bell Seth just yet. Space permitting I think a large bushing or round aesthetically appealing plate soldered to the bearing area would be optimum. Then drilled to size. I think the inner race will reduce the amount of force to the bearing outer seated surface. At least I hope so. I am a pretty open person and if it blows up I will also post pics of the crash site.

Fitzclan likes this.
  7. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I seat those bearings pretty much like a regular bushing. They can tolerate a little squeezing into the hole, but not a great deal. Once they are set properly, they aren't coming out. They will go longer than a bushing, but forever is a very long time.
    I don't like them in old movements, but they're great for Hermle's and such.