New Haven Wilson 30 day banjo question.

Gerald Zwick

Sep 3, 2010
I just bought a New Haven Wilson at the Schmitt Auction this weekend. I have already cleaned and reassembled the 30 day movement and my question is about the two wheels above the center wheel. They sit one atop the other are spoked with each wheel having a small hole in one of its spokes. There is a curled spring which looks like it should be attached or connected to both wheels. Currently the clock hands are lacking any tension at all. I'm sure the springs serve a function and would appreciate help to find out the correct way to use the spring.
Thanks for your help.

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Gerald,

I am afraid you have not given enough information. How about a few pictures?
Unless someone has one of those movements handy and/or apart, your questions cannot easily be answered.

Best Regards,

Dick Feldman

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
I just bought a New Haven Wilson at the Schmitt Auction this weekend. I have already cleaned and reassembled the 30 day movement and my question is about the two wheels above the center wheel. They sit one atop the other are spoked with each wheel having a small hole in one of its spokes. There is a curled spring which looks like it should be attached or connected to both wheels. Currently the clock hands are lacking any tension at all. I'm sure the springs serve a function and would appreciate help to find out the correct way to use the spring.
Thanks for your help.
This picture is a 30-day New Haven from a similar clock. The spring takes up the slop or backlash in the gears so the minute hand has no "looseness" and points exactly to the time. The spring needs to be in place.

RC

Attachments

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
The device Croswell identified for you is a mechanical gear-set known as "Scissors Gears."

Scissors gears have been used in many mechanical assemblies for eons. The advantage is obvious but they do add a little friction and are not well understood.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
They have to have a little tension or the two wheels will not work in tandem. Set it with about one tooth worth of tension. You find this arrangement often on dual wind time only clocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
objectsnthemirror
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff