• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

New Haven Watch Company - Pocket Watch

fspencer77

Jan 13, 2021
Country
Hello Community,

I just received this pocket watch as a family heirloom and I know less than nothing about pocket watches. If anyone would be able to give me any details on this watch that would be extremely appreciated!

Fspencer

IMG_3264.jpeg IMG_3260.jpg IMG_3261.jpg IMG_3262.jpg IMG_3263.jpeg

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Swiss made and i doubt has nothing about it related to the New Haven company.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Welcome to the forums! Could you provide a picture of the box? As indicated above, it doesn't appear that this watch was made by New Haven, so perhaps a New Haven box was used to protect the watch sometime during its life. If you search in the forums for Majestic Watch Company (search icon in the upper right of the blue bar above), you may find other watches like yours that will provide additional information. It's nice to have a horological timepiece as a reminder of relatives. Best of luck in your search.

Reactions: fspencer77

fspencer77

Jan 13, 2021
Country
Welcome to the forums! Could you provide a picture of the box? As indicated above, it doesn't appear that this watch was made by New Haven, so perhaps a New Haven box was used to protect the watch sometime during its life. If you search in the forums for Majestic Watch Company (search icon in the upper right of the blue bar above), you may find other watches like yours that will provide additional information. It's nice to have a horological timepiece as a reminder of relatives. Best of luck in your search.
Hi Pat,

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and thoughtful words. I will upload a picture of the box as soon as I get home. Its possible he bought it from them as a second hand purchase.

Thanks for the suggestion I'll head my research in that direction now! :)

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Hi and welcome to the NAWCC forum. I have moved your family
watch to the European section of the forum.

Rob

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
Majestic (Majestic Watch Co. Ltd) is a subsidiary of Manufacture Thommen SA/Revue SA in Waldenburg, Switzerland.
The caliber of your watch is identical to the Revue-Thommen 33-11 or 36-11 depending on its size.

Classification horlogère 1939.
R1.jpeg R2.jpeg

Amicalement GG

Reactions: Dr. Jon

fspencer77

Jan 13, 2021
Country
Hi Pat,

See box photos, after some research and some help from here, it would appear that the watch was made around 1939. Here are some photos of the box anyway!

unnamed (3).jpg unnamed (2).jpg unnamed (1).jpg unnamed.jpg

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Definitely just a box the watch was put in to protect it. New Haven made inexpensive "dollar" watches, sold for probably $2.95 at the time, generally if it died within a year, you returned it and they sent you another watch, they weren't designed to be repaired. Majestic, as noted above, was a swiss company with no relation to New Haven.

Reactions: PatH

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Thanks for posting the pictures. As we had guessed, the box just provided a safe place to keep the watch. If you Google New Haven Bull Dog, you will find images of the watch that came in this box. It would have been an inexpensive pocket watch with New Haven Bull Dog printed on the dial, made in New Haven CT.

Is the 4th picture a shot of your Majestic watch?