new haven triple plate

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by tracker, May 27, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tracker

tracker Registered User

Aug 15, 2007
    retired naval aviator
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have worked on and repaired several clocks and I think I would like to tackle a new haven triple plate movement. I have a complete clock which runs but does not chime correctly and I also have a uncased movement to practice on.But with no formal training I would like to know if their is any help out there in the form of books or videos and if so which might be the best. Thanks Carl

2. paclockman

paclockman Registered User

Feb 14, 2009
    Get Steve Conover's Chime Clock Repair book.

3. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Don't tackle this one without it! Google "Clockmaker's Newsletter" and get the book direct from Steve.

This triple plate movement isn't especially difficult to service and doesn't deserve the reputation it seems to have acquired. It is however totally unlike any other in regard to how the chime part works. It must be pretty close to right or it won't work at all. Like any other old clock, it is likely to require pivot and bushing work.

RC

4. claussclocks

claussclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Male
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Agreed! The Steven Conover Book is the best for dealing with the hair pulling New Haven Triple plate.

5. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's one of my favorites to work on. Be ready for small pivots that need very precise depthing when installing new bushings. I have also noticed that the barrels in these clocks seem to have worn bushings more often than not. It's not as difficult as it might appear, it is just compact and quite different in it's design. And... as others have pointed out... Conover's Chime Clock Repair book is essential. Great illustrations and explanations. I once had one brought to me in pieces in a box.. without the book I would have never figured it out.

6. tracker

tracker Registered User

Aug 15, 2007
    retired naval aviator
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks to everyone for the information. I understand that when bushing this clock that countersinking the bushing is important to allow for proper shake?

7. Harry Hopkins

Harry Hopkins Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Retired Instrument Technician
    Mason, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Installing bushings flush with the back side of the plates should give you correct end shake. No countersink should be necessary when properly assembled.

8. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that it's not a bad idea to get into the habit of placing a very shallow chamfer around the inner ID.

9. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree, this is just to make sure that any radius at the base of the pivot doesn't cause binding. The end shake should be correct if the bushing is installed flush and already stated.

RC

10. Bruce Alexander

Bruce Alexander Registered User
    Sponsor NAWCC Brass Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that it is also reasonable to assume that you will be able to retain a just little more oil in the bearing too, but as RC points out, the idea to prevent binding at the pivot's base (or shoulder).

11. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The chamfer also helps getting the pivot into the hole during reassembly.:)

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've never done that, but it makes sense. I may try that in the future.