Solved New Haven tall clock suspension spring repair

Mike Brown

Dec 13, 2019
Country
I have a movement on the bench that I haven't seen before. I'd like to know the maker and approximate age. The only mark I can find is a C on the suspension spring support. I also need to repair or replace the suspension spring, as one leg is broken. I can't figure out how to remove the spring from the horizontal shaft that supports the pendulum. I've looked around for replacement suspension spring assembly but have not found one.

The movement has some nice features - deadbeat escapement, double chain and elaborate crutch. I believe these are all features of an accurate clock... any help would be much appreciated!

front plate.jpg suspension spring.jpg in pieces.jpg

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Is it a loose movement, or do you have a picture of the case?

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
It looks like the smallest collet is pressed onto the shaft. Bruce’s idea of a little heat should allow you to pull it off the shaft. Do you plan to make the spring or have you found one at a supplier? Unusual suspension spring.

Mike Brown

Dec 13, 2019
Country
Here are two photos showing the case and dial. Thanks for your ideas so far, will explore them in the morning. If I need to cut a new spring, can I use steel shim stock? The existing (broken) spring is .008". Would it be necessary to cut out the center, or would a single wide piece work?

dial.jpg case.jpg

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Here are two photos showing the case and dial. Thanks for your ideas so far, will explore them in the morning. If I need to cut a new spring, can I use steel shim stock? The existing (broken) spring is .008". Would it be necessary to cut out the center, or would a single wide piece work?

View attachment 612509 View attachment 612508
A thinner single wide piece would probably work.

RC

Mike Brown

Dec 13, 2019
Country
Thank you all for your help and advice. As always, the answer was simple once the problem was defined. It was the LARGE collet that slid off the shaft. I was sidetracked because the large collet appeared to be crimped to the shaft.

Here are photos of the repair - used a piece of shim stock, drilled and filed to size, and installed with new brass tacks.

collet off.jpg repaired.jpg

Reactions: bruce linde

Rod Schaffter

Mar 20, 2020
Country
Beautiful clock! :love:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ynolems
Encyclopedia Pages