New Haven Strike Spring

Nicko

May 11, 2007
Australia
Country
Region
Hi All,

This movement is from the New Haven "Danube" that was ID'd in the Clocks thread.
I have been asked to repair this movement. The main spring is cracked and the strike string is missing as well as a few other disasters.
Can anyone tell me the correct spring to use for the strike mechanism. The one in there is 1/2" wide by about .018" wide. Length unknown.

Thanks
Greg

Attachments

AllThumbz

Feb 24, 2007
New York
www.HobbyMachinist.com
Country
Region
Nicko said:
Hi All,

This movement is from the New Haven "Danube" that was ID'd in the Clocks thread.
I have been asked to repair this movement. The main spring is cracked and the strike string is missing as well as a few other disasters.
Can anyone tell me the correct spring to use for the strike mechanism. The one in there is 1/2" wide by about .018" wide. Length unknown.

Thanks
Greg
For 8 day American clocks I have used Timesavers 8-DAY MAINSPRING 3/4 (Part: 14200) 3/4" x .018 x 96" American made loop end eight day mainspring. Metric equivalent is 19.0 mm x 0.46mm x 2438mm which sells for $7.50 each. I like American made steel.

They also have a MAINSPRING 5/8 x .0175 x 96 (Part: 14222)
Loop end mainspring is made in India. 5/8" x .0175 x 96". Metric equivalent is 16.0mm x 0.44mm x 2438mm for $8, and

1/2 X .015 X 84 LOOP END MSPRG (Part: 16870)
Loop end mainspring is made in Germany. 1/2" x .015" x 84". Metric equivalent is 12.7mm x 0.38mm x 2137mm for $10.50.

Those are the closest I see on their site.

Hope this helps.

Looking2Learnclox

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
Looks like I got beat, while doing this post. I think you'll find that 96", is the one that fits, I would not use the made in India spring, they have inferior steel.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I've been using the India made springs, and haven't been bit in the butt yet, but I think I'll take the precautions about them to heart. I have not encountered a premature break though, so they might work fine for you if you want the $ savings. It's around $5.00 cheaper - not enough to take chances for :)

Nicko

May 11, 2007
Australia
Country
Region
If they are the same thickness, taking up the same space then the length would be the same, so 96" it is.

I have read that some repairers claim that the original mainsprings were overpowered and use a thinner mainspring than original, say 3/4 x .0165 x 96. Any thoughts on this?
I reckon you could re-tyre a wagon wheel with this one.

AllThumbz

Feb 24, 2007
New York
www.HobbyMachinist.com
Country
Region
Nicko said:
If they are the same thickness, taking up the same space then the length would be the same, so 96" it is.

I have read that some repairers claim that the original mainsprings were overpowered and use a thinner mainspring than original, say 3/4 x .0165 x 96. Any thoughts on this?
I reckon you could re-tyre a wagon wheel with this one.
Nicko,
I have read and heard that too. And Timesavers does sell a slightly thinner alternative for those who feel that way. I dont have the number handy but would be glad to grab it off their site for ya. Personally, I like to put back what was there originally, best as I can. I too, prefer the American steel- for a few dollars, it isnt worth the risk of a break and having to replace it again, which is a pain for me since Im not that experienced as most of the other fellas here.

Looking2Learn

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
You started the discussion asking the size of the strike spring. It is 5/8x.018x96, somehow the discussion has changed to the time spring. I recommended not using the India springs because of experience, having them come back after a couple of years with set springs. Thank goodness I only used a few of them, and never again.

Larry Pearson, FNAWCC* #35863

Nicko

May 11, 2007
Australia
Country
Region
LookingToLearn,
Thanks for the offer, but I have to place another order for clock parts soon, I'll order it then

Larry,
Yes, I did deflect the topic to mainsprings. To keep on topic, the strike spring stub that is left is 1/2" wide by .018" thick. You and others have confirmed that it should be the same length and thickness as the main spring. You wrote 5/8" wide so I checked the arbour width and is only .500" wide.
I''l keep in mind the comments about the cheaper springs.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Cheers
GN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
April
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-